Help for PHD-DESIGN Archives

PHD-DESIGN Archives

PHD-DESIGN@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

PHD-DESIGN Home

PHD-DESIGN  January 2012

PHD-DESIGN January 2012

Re: What would help you teach sustainable design?

Jinan K B <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 20 Jan 2012 07:26:43 +0530

Dear Chris/ Ann/Terry/ friends

Linear ,Rational, dualistic and fragmenting way of life leads to
unsustainability. As long as selfishness, greed, competition is being
cultivated is there any chance to be sustainable. Then sustainability like
corporate responsibility becomes an afterthought.

Unfortunately sustainability is a wholistic phenomenon where sustainability
is for all, both in terms of now and ever and for everyone. There can not
be sustainability in isolation- for my company or my nation etc. Also this
is very much connected with recycling. In some sense it is a way of life, a
way of being that supports sustainability.

Creativity is an overused and misused word that needs correction.
Destructivity would fit the term. Any unsustainable activity/ product needs
to categorized under this. There will be several ones if one does a survey.

In this context what Chris mentioned about needing a new educational format
is very important and may be it is worth while to explore that.
We are living in time of total absurdity where the psychological needs are
given far more importance to biological needs. hence our whole
educational enterprise has hardly any space for the biological being.

 A wholistic paradigm of learning is to be explored which probably is the
way we make sense of the world naturally utilizing our biological
propensity for being in the world. Other wise the linear/ rational way will
co-opt sustainability which is happening with the so called green
architecture.

Jinan

design activist, researcher, educationist
India