MCG January 2012

Re: text size vs zoom

Phil Blume <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 25 Jan 2012 17:21:11 +0000

Hi Tim

My own guidelines.

Only use italic for titles and quotes and only then if the font size is
quite large, otherwise avoid at all costs since browsers/screens can't
render sloping verticals in a way that is pleasant to read.

Only use serif fonts at larger sizes, for titles, say, since the serifs
can't be resolved either and will simply go to mush.

To distinguish hyperlinks use a different text colour, a coloured
background or an underline; italics mean something else.

Keep the line lengths short, say 12 to 15 words, since that is easier to
scan from line to line.

Increasing the leading (space between lines) also makes text easier to scan.

Cheers, Phil