Help for MCG Archives

MCG Archives

MCG@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

MCG Home

MCG  January 2012

MCG January 2012

Re: Android tablets for Museum terminals?

Christopher Power <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 3 Jan 2012 22:16:09 +0000

Hi there,

Please note, in December Adobe announced that they would be discontinuing Mobile Flash in favour of having their tools become the
premier HTML5 editing suite for mobile devices.

It is not recommended that anyone build new sites using Flash for mobile platforms.  Similar news has leaked from Microsoft that likely
Silverlight is also on the way out.

One free product you might want to investigate is PhoneGap:
http://phonegap.com/

It allows developers to build thing using HTML5/CSS3 and then automagically transforms it into source that can run on a number
of different devices.  It is now quite sophisticated providing access to things like the camera, GPS, accelerometers and other gizmos
on smart phones and tablets.

Cheers,
Chris
Christopher Power, PhD.
Lecturer
Human Computer Interaction Research Group
CSE/241, Department of Computer Science
University of York,  Deramore Lane, York YO10 5GH
Phone: +44 (0)1904325673 Fax: +44 (0)1904 432767
Email: [log in to unmask];  Skype: cdspower; Twitter: cdspower
Web: http://www.cs.york.ac.uk/~cpower
UoY Email Disclaimer