Help for FORCED-MIGRATION Archives

FORCED-MIGRATION Archives

FORCED-MIGRATION@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

FORCED-MIGRATION Home

FORCED-MIGRATION  January 2012

FORCED-MIGRATION January 2012

New member intro/Course: Peace and Conflict Studies

Forced Migration List <[log in to unmask]>

Forced Migration List <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 25 Jan 2012 14:54:43 +0000

Dear members,

My name is Sónia Leonardo, I am an M.A. student in Marburg and I am currently working for the Centre for Peace and Conflict Studies at the University. I will be writing my M.A. thesis on the topic of migration, so I hope I can get some ideas from here and share my research with you later on.

Moreover, I thought it could be interesting for you to know that the University of Kent and the University of Marburg have opened the call for applications for the study period 2012/2013 for the International Double Degree Programme in Peace and Conflict Studies. Given that the programme is recent, we are trying to turn it more visible and so I am sharing this information with you. The text below is a summary of the programme and if you are interested you may contact us /or apply using the contact information at the end. Thank you,

Best regards
Sónia Leonardo

The University of Kent and University of Marburg are now accepting applications for the international double degree programme Peace and Conflict Studies for the 2012-2013 year. This international double award is jointly offered by the School of Politics and International Relations at the University of Kent and the Centre for Conflict Studies at the University of Marburg. Upon successful completion of the programme students will be awarded an MA degree in Peace and Conflict Studies from Kent University and an MA degree in Peace and Conflict Studies from the University of Marburg.

The two year full-time programme encompasses 120 ECTS credits (240 Kent credits). The programme includes a mandatory internship of at least 10 weeks. The Master dissertation is jointly supervised and
marked by academic staff at Kent and Marburg.

This multidisciplinary programme features compulsory modules on theories of conflict, conflict resolution, research methods/methods of conflict analysis and intergroup conflicts. Optional modules cover a wide range of topics including negotiation, mediation, diplomacy, development, critical approaches to peace and conflict studies, international political economy, foreign policy, human rights and terrorism. Modules are taught by political scientists, IR experts, sociologists and social psychologists.

Students will spend the first year at Kent University and the second year at Marburg University where courses are taught in English. Thus, international students do not need to speak German to study in Marburg. Alternatively, fluent German speakers can opt to spend the first year in Marburg where compulsory courses will be taught in German and spend the second year in Canterbury. Starting in Kent  is the more convenient option regarding the internship, because the Spring Term at Kent University ends in early April which allows you to do the internship between April and September. We therefore recommend starting at Kent University.

The universities do not operate on a system of deadlines for applying to this programme. We do recommend
submitting applications by the end of June 2012. Nonetheless, applications received after this date will still be accepted.

Peace and Conflict Studies
International Double Degree Programme
Zentrum für Konfliktforschung/Centre for Conflict Studies
Philipps-Universität Marburg/University of Marburg
Ketzerbach 11
35032 Marburg
Germany
Fax. +(49)6421-2824528
http://www.uni-marburg.de/konfliktforschung/studium/international-double-award

Note: The material contained in this communication comes to you from the
Forced Migration Discussion List which is moderated by Forced Migration
Online, Refugee Studies Centre (RSC), Oxford Department of International
Development, University of Oxford. It does not necessarily reflect the
views of the RSC or the University. If you re-print, copy, archive or
re-post this message please retain this disclaimer. Quotations or
extracts should include attribution to the original sources.

E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Posting guidelines: http://www.forcedmigration.org/discussion/guidelines