FEDORAEU@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

FEDORAEU Home

FEDORAEU  January 2012

FEDORAEU January 2012

AIMS White Paper

Chris Awre <[log in to unmask]>

Fedora Commons Repository User Group for the European Union <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 23 Jan 2012 13:42:42 +0000

*** Please excuse any cross-posting ***

AIMS (Born-Digital Collections: An Inter-Institutional Model for
Stewardship) was a two year grant generously funded by The Andrew W. Mellon
Foundation. It ran from October 2009-September 2011. An international
collaboration of partners from the University of Hull (UK), Stanford
University, Yale University, and the University of Virginia as lead, AIMS
had several main goals, among them:

1. Develop a methodology for the support and stewardship of born-digital
materials
2. Foster and enhance the digital archivist community
3. Process over a dozen collections that had born digital content.
4. Create and disseminate a white paper that outlines our findings and work

To that end, I am pleased to announce the successful conclusion of both the
grant and the white paper. The white paper is an expression of our
methodology for supporting and stewarding born digital materials. The
participants used their experience in processing collections with born
digital content as the groundwork for our shared (rather than singular)
approach.  As such, it highlights decision points and practice. It is meant
to introduce and expose readers to the issues of born digital stewardship,
not necessarily solve every possible contingency since this is an evolving
challenge for us all. We have articulated practices that are informed by
archival principles that we hope will have a broad reach to our readers.
This document should be considered as a framework to guide good practice in
terms of archival tasks and objectives necessary for success.

The AIMS white paper can be found here:
http://www2.lib.virginia.edu/aims/whitepaper/

A full press release issued by the University of Hull is available on the
Hull History Centre website http://www.hullhistorycentre.org.uk/

We actively welcome comments and feedback via the AIMS blog
http://born-digital-archives.blogspot.com/ or direct to me

best wishes
Simon

Simon Wilson and Judy Burg
Hull University Archives
Hull History Centre
Worship Street, Hull HU2 8BG

tel: 01482 317506
http://www2.lib.virginia.edu/aims/
http://www.hullhistorycentre.org.uk

To view the terms under which this email is distributed
please go to http://www2.hull.ac.uk/legal/disclaimer.aspx