BRITARCH January 2012

Re: Colchester and the Olympic Dream

"Lawrence,Martha (Cultural & Community Services)" <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 13 Jan 2012 11:14:54 +0000

Wow, that killed the discussion! Have you ever thought about joining the diplomatic service, Graham? ;-)

Martha

-----Original Message-----
From: British archaeology discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Graham McElearney
Sent: 13 January 2012 08:32
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [BRITARCH] Colchester and the Olympic Dream

Hi folks,
Don't want to dis Colchester too much but isn't it just another one of those southern chav towns with a massive squaddie prison in the middle of it?
All the best
Graham

Sent from my iPhone - please forgive any typos or other errors...
Graham

On 13 Jan 2012, at 00:03, BRITARCH automatic digest system <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Topics of the day:
>
>  1. The Olympic Dream (4)
>  2. The Heritage Paradox (2)

> Date:    Thu, 12 Jan 2012 04:50:19 -0500
> From:    Longinus Sdapeze <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: The Olympic Dream
>
> Colchester, where British civilisation began, oldest recorded place in
> Britain, location of two of the five known Roman theatres and the only known
> Roman circus in Britain, etc. has done nothing to welcome Olympic visitors -
> nor  people interested in its heritage, for that matter. Shopping is
> Colchester's  mantra, whilst places like Bath, Oxford, York, Carlisle, Chester,
> seem to do the  heritage job properly.

> [log in to unmask] writes:
>
> The UK  Government are presently rubbing their hands with glee with the
> expectation of  all that revenue brought about by foreign visitors to the UK
> attending the  2012 Olympic Games.
>
> But this is only a two week period, and will  only last two weeks,
> shouldn't someone remind the UK Government that hundreds  of thousands of foreign
> visitors usually visit the UK each year though  not for sport, but for our
> heritage.
>
> Heritage that doesn't  fizzle out after two weeks but if well maintained
> will last an eternity.  Heritage that is cheap as chips compared to the vast
> expense of staging a two  week  wonder!
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date:    Thu, 12 Jan 2012 10:16:08 +0000
> From:    Michael Haseler <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: The Heritage Paradox
>
> There speaks the public sector worker!!!
>
> Why should the food in a prison be any different from that at Burger
> King? They probably cost the same to make ... indeed I bet prison food
> has more nutrition!
>
> The difference is that prisoners have no choice and have to accept what
> they are given, whereas Burger King would go out of business if it did
> not supply what the customer wanted.
>
> Whenever anything is put in the hands of government, we end up being
> forced to accept what it supplies ... worse, anyone who could supply
> better, is forced out of the market because they cannot compete on fair
> terms with government. I will admit that the free market does not always
> enhance the public good. E.g. it may make a lot more profit to sell off
> the contents of a Museum than to run it as a long-term "business". So,
> it is right that government do interfere where the free-market fails,
> but where the free market works, then there is absolutely no reason for
> government to be involved as overwhelmingly, the hidden costs of
> government involvement almost always outweigh the benefit unless those
> benefits are clear and unambiguous. In otherwords, if in doubt about the
> public benefit of running by government, leave it to the private sector
> and we will all be better off!
>
> Mike
>
> On 11/01/2012 15:43, John Wood wrote:
> [...]

Think before you print! Save energy and paper.
Do you really need to print this email?

Derbyshire County Council works to improve the lives of local people by delivering high quality services.
You can find out more about us by visiting 'www.derbyshire.gov.uk'.  If you want to work for us go to our job pages on 'www.derbyshire.gov.uk/jobs'.  You can register for e-mail alerts, download job packs and apply on-line.

Please Note:

This email is confidential, may be legally privileged and may contain personal views that are not the views of Derbyshire County Council. It is intended solely for the addressee. If this email was sent to you in error please notify us by replying to the email. Once you have done this please delete the email and do not disclose, copy, distribute, or rely on it.

Under the Data Protection Act 1998 and the Freedom of Information Act 2000 the contents of this email may be disclosed.

Derbyshire County Council reserves the right to monitor both sent and received emails.