Re: Prints from glass plate negatives

Pamela Cranston <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 12 Jan 2012 14:03:19 +0000

It would need to be archivally sound - i.e. not too much lux as an ordinary scanner blasts light at negatives.

Pam

Sincerely

Pam Cranston
Photographic Research and Preservation Officer

Department of Special Collections
Library Annexe
North Haugh
St Andrews
KY16 9WH
T: 01334-462339
E: [log in to unmask]
www.st-andrews.ac.uk/library/specialcollections/

The Department of Special Collections of the University Library has relocated to new premises on the North Haugh and is now open to readers by appointment only. Please contact us on [log in to unmask] or 01334-462339 to book a seat in our Reading Room.
The University of St Andrews is a charity registered in Scotland : No SC013532

-----Original Message-----
From: Archivists, conservators and records managers. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Gillian Roberts
Sent: 12 January 2012 13:42
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Prints from glass plate negatives

Dear colleagues

We have a number of glass plate negatives in our collection.  To date, we have been scanning them by placing them direct on the platten at 1200 dpi.  A recent depositor has asked for prints from his collection and and thinks the image produced is 'flat'.  Apart from not quite getting what he means by 'flat', what other options are there for 1) scanning in house with our usual equipment - can we make them better? and 2) what should we be aiming for if we were to look at new equipment?

Thank you very much.

Gillian Roberts
Borough Archivist
Dudley Archives and Local History Service