Help for NEW-MEDIA-CURATING Archives

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING Archives

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING Home

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING  January 2012

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING January 2012

Electroboutique at the Science Museum, London - last chance to see!

Redler Hannah <[log in to unmask]>

Redler Hannah <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 26 Jan 2012 10:49:05 -0000

Greetings from this normally ridiculously quiet list-lurker!

I thought friends and colleagues might like to know that we only have a
couple of weeks left of Alexei Shulgin and Aristarkh Chernyshev aka
Electroboutique's exhibition, 'Electroboutique Pop-up at the Science
Musuem'. It closes Feb 14th and has offered a wealth of fascinating list
themes in relation to audience and critical responses to hybrid media
forms within a non-art context. I'll expand on that more fully soon to
Sarah to see if she thinks it list-worthy. Do get in touch if passing
by, either I or my co-curator Ruth Fenton would be happy to meet
colleagues if we're around when you come in.

Best wishes

Hannah

Elctroboutique Press release

A giant distorted iPhone twisted into the form of Tatlin's Monument to
the 3rd International, a padded TV that changes picture when someone
hits it and a digital mirror TV that shows viewers their own
'tele-portrait' reflection assembled from different TV channel visual
streams are among the stars of Electroboutique pop-up, the Science
Museum's arts exhibition which closes on Tuesday 14 February.

Electroboutique pop-up showcases the work of Alexei Shulgin and
Aristarkh Chernyshev - internationally renowned artists working with
technology. The premiering exhibition comprises unique artworks
developed over the last seven years by Shulgin and Chernyshev's
collective of artists, designers and engineers - known as
Electroboutique.

Encouraging interaction through what the artists call 'Creative
Consumption', Electroboutique pop-up provides visitors with witty,
playful and critical perspectives on art production, climate change,
activism, consumerism, mass production and media technologies.

Highlights include the supersize 'wowPod' - a giant iPod shaped media
sculpture which allows people to choose music video tracks. The
exhibition features two specially commissioned works for the Science
Museum including  'Artlet', a critical reflection on the current state
of art-making - where visitors can select objects and cultural icons to
create their own mash-up virtual artwork. The second commission is
'iPaw', a life-sized sculpture of a dog stroking an iPad, that greets
visitors as they enter the exhibition.

Electroboutique's artworks gain new currency at the Science Museum where
they are seen alongside technological milestones such as the first Apple
computer, early telephones, TVs and other gadgets, which provide an
incredible context to their work.

Alexei Shulgin, Electroboutique artist said, "It's a great pleasure for
us to open our exhibition at the Science Museum because the context
emphasises the unity of art, design, science, technology and capitalism.
By exhibiting here, we can be sure that we can deliver our messages,
which are both serious and entertaining, to the greatest number of
people. This is very important for us as we make art for people, art
that cares about people"

Hannah Redler, Head of Arts Projects at the Science Museum said, "The
Science Museum has long championed pioneering interactive art and been
an active supporter of artists interrogating new forms, including all
aspects of new technologies. We're delighted to be hosting
Electroboutique's first exhibition in the UK. With their funny and fluid
manipulation of media objects, signals and outputs, the artists raise
fundamental questions on the position that these media take in our lives
right now."

Electroboutique pop-up is a free exhibition which closes on 14 February
2012.

The name of the exhibition is taken from 'Electroboutique' - a media art
gallery, artist collective and techno art  production company co-founded
by Shulgin and Chernyshev.

The artists' practice is built upon a dialogue with audiences and
creating works that challenge viewers' expectations. Their works raise
questions about technological progress, consumerism, media control, and
corporate appropriation of eco and sustainability ideologies - viewed as
cynical marketing strategies, often unsupported, they argue, by
companies' actual activities.

The exhibition is supported by the Arts Council of England.

For updates on all Science Museum news and events sign up to our free e-newsletter at www.sciencemuseum.org.uk

This e-mail and attachments are intended for the named addressee only and are confidential. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender immediately, delete the message from your computer system and destroy any copies. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and may not reflect the views of the National Museum of Science & Industry. This email has been scanned for all viruses by the MessageLabs Email Security System.