Help for ESRC-GEC-PROG Archives

ESRC-GEC-PROG Archives

ESRC-GEC-PROG@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

ESRC-GEC-PROG Home

ESRC-GEC-PROG  January 2012

ESRC-GEC-PROG January 2012

Call for Papers - UACES annual conference - CRN The Governance of Sustainability

Jenny Fairbrass <[log in to unmask]>

Jenny Fairbrass <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 9 Jan 2012 13:44:54 +0000

Call for Papers - UACES CRN - “The Governance of Sustainability"
UACES Annual Conference - September 2012 - Passau

The deadline for the annual UACES conference is approaching fast. If you would like to join us in Passau on one of our organised CRN panels, could you please send an abstract (max 200 words) to Thomas Hoerber (e-mail: [log in to unmask]) by Monday 16th January 2012 at the latest.

To remind you, our research themes are:

Theme 1 - 'Environmental Conscience'
The notion 'Environmental conscience' refers to a 'deep world view', which sets the boundaries of 'green' policies. We seek papers that explore how the nature of a moral obligation towards the environment has varied overtime.

Theme 2: 'Sustainability'
The notion of 'Sustainability' encompasses several discourses.  While they may all be traced to an environmental conscience, sustainability discourses are typically historically specific, contingent, often incoherent and partial. We therefore seek papers that analyse (i) how policy-makers have translated sustainability into economic, social and environmental principles, (ii) how these are 'operationalised' via human institutions.

Theme 3: 'Energy and the Environment'
Energy policies were foundational to the European project, and it is in concern for energy saving/efficiency that EU environmental policies have their origin. We invite papers that track how, at the EU level, environmental concerns are being extended into 'traditional' energy policy areas such as European gas and electricity networks, transport fuel, as well as the merits of nuclear generation of electricity.

We invite abstracts from doctoral students, early-career as well as more established academics, and practitioners from across a range of disciplines such as environmental studies, political studies, management studies, history, geography, legal studies, and economics. The UACES conference papers will form part of our effort to develop papers for later publication as a special issue of a journal as well as an edited book.

On behalf of the co-convenors:
*Jenny Fairbrass (Senior Lecturer, Strategy, University of Bradford: [log in to unmask] )
*Thomas Hoerber (Associate Professor, ESSCA - School of Management, [log in to unmask] )
*Simon Lightfoot (Senior Lecturer in European Politics, University of Leeds: [log in to unmask] )
For further details about this UACES collaborative research network, please see the UACES website (http://www.uaces.org/networks/sustainability/