Help for DC-ARCHITECTURE Archives

DC-ARCHITECTURE Archives

DC-ARCHITECTURE@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

DC-ARCHITECTURE Home

DC-ARCHITECTURE  January 2012

DC-ARCHITECTURE January 2012

Re: 2011-01-04 DCAM editors' call - report

Andy Powell <[log in to unmask]>

DCMI Architecture Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 6 Jan 2012 17:11:08 +0000

So, (looking at http://wiki.dublincore.org/index.php/DCAM_Revision_Tech) you currently have 3 reasons for why people should invest their time in understanding and using the DCAM:

--- cut ---

1) Provide a way to publish metadata on the Semantic Web.
2) Provide an abstract model for metadata applications.
3) Help to bridge the (terminological) gap between the Semantic Web and the metadata community (Dublin Core Community)

--- cut ---

1) doesn't seem overly compelling to me since I assume that most people will (rightly) consider that RDF allows them to do that (without need for the DCAM).

2) may be of value in limited cases (though I question that this is what the DCAM effort is trying to do - assuming that "metadata applications" is intended to be interpreted in its broadest sense).

3) is part of the original rationale for the DCAM (and thus is of questionable widespread value, as I outlined in my previous message) though I would tend to change the last part to "... between the Semantic Web and the Dublin Core community (and hence other metadata communities)".

If 1) is important, then you need to spell out (for me at least) what DCAM brings that RDF does not already have.

If 2) is intended as written, then I question the scope of this activity, since "metadata applications" is such a broad space, and DCMI's ability to deliver it.

3) is OK (though, again... as written, the scope is far too broad to be realistic) but on its own is not enough to justify this effort.

Apologies for seeming negative... my concern is that the DCAM served a purpose at a particular point in time (i.e. the point where DCMI was allowing multiple encoding syntaxes to flourish without a good understanding of what they each represented) and was primarily intended to help clarify DCMI's own thinking. One can argue about how well the DCAM served that purpose but the real point now is that we are no longer at that point in time. If DCMI wants to influence the wider sphere thru this work, then you (collectively) must articulate why anyone should sit up and take any notice. I would strongly suggest doing so before investing much intellectual effort in doing the actual work on a revised DCAM.

Just my 2p... you are, of course, free to ignore me ;-)

Andy

--
Andy Powell
Research Programme Director