CCP4BB  January 2012

CCP4BB January 2012

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Reasoning for Rmeas or Rpim as Cutoff

Randy Read <[log in to unmask]>

Randy Read <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 29 Jan 2012 21:35:08 +0000

text/plain

Just one thing to add to that very detailed response from Ian.

We've tended to use a slightly different approach to determining a sensible resolution cutoff, where we judge whether there's useful information in the highest resolution data by whether it agrees with calculated structure factors computed from a model that hasn't been refined against those data.  We first did this with the complex of the Shiga-like toxin B-subunit pentamer with the Gb3 trisaccharide (Ling et al, 1998).  From memory, the point where the average I/sig(I) drops below 2 was around 3.3A.  However, we had a good molecular replacement model to solve this structure and, after just carrying out rigid-body refinement, we computed a SigmaA plot using data to the edge of the detector (somewhere around 2.7A, again from memory).  The SigmaA plot dropped off smoothly to 2.8A resolution, with values well above zero (indicating significantly better than random agreement), then dropped suddenly.  So we chose 2.8A as the cutoff.  Because there were four pentamers in the asymmetric unit, we could then use 20-fold NCS averaging, which gave a fantastic map.  In this case, the averaging certainly helped to pull out something very useful from a very weak signal, because the maps weren't nearly as clear at lower resolution.

Since then, a number of other people have applied similar tests.  Notably, Axel Brunger has done some careful analysis to show that it can indeed be useful to take data beyond the conventional limits.

When you don't have a great MR model, you can do something similar by limiting the resolution for the initial refinement and rebuilding, then assessing whether there's useful information at higher resolution by using the improved model (which hasn't seen the higher resolution data) to compute Fcalcs.  By the way, it's not necessary to use a SigmaA plot -- the correlation between Fo and Fc probably works just as well.  Note that, when the model has been refined against the lower resolution data, you'll expect a drop in correlation at the resolution cutoff you used for refinement, unless you only use the cross-validation data for the resolution range used in refinement.

-----
Randy J. Read
Department of Haematology, University of Cambridge
Cambridge Institute for Medical Research    Tel: +44 1223 336500
Wellcome Trust/MRC Building                         Fax: +44 1223 336827
Hills Road                                                            E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Cambridge CB2 0XY, U.K.                               www-structmed.cimr.cam.ac.uk