CCP4BB January 2012

Re: [COOT] optimal Hardware for coot

David Schuller <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 17 Jan 2012 10:21:20 -0500

On 01/17/12 07:14, Charles Finley wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is there anything like an optimal hardware setup for a new installation of coot?
>
> i had a look in the FAQ and the documentation, but i could not find anything (aside from the recommendation of a three button mouse).
>
> regarding the CPU:
>
> - is coot multithreaded?
> - does coot use any form of SSE?
> - is intel or AMD preferred?
COOT is not generally CPU-bound. Intel has the faster CPUs these days,
but it shouldn't matter greatly to COOT. Is this for a COOT only
machine, or will other tasks be run as well?

> regarding memory:
>
> - more is better?
> - does ECC make any sense or is it a waste of money
Yes, more is better. These days I would install at least 4 GB, and
possibly more. Memory is cheap, and it makes a big difference if you are
running multiple applications at once.

I would consider ECC a waste of money for a COOT-ony machine. We only
use that for servers that absolutely need to be rock-solid, like our
data collection workstations.

> regarding the GPU:
>
> - is CUDA / Stream / Open CL supported?
> - is a high end card needed or will any mainstream card do?
> - any need for large on-card memory?
Any mid-grade (e.g. radeon x6xx or so) card should be fine for 2D COOT.
for 3D stereo, see below.

> regarding disk drives:
>
> - does coot benefit from faster harddrives / RAID 0?
Sure. Everything does. Lots of RAM will minimize swapping, but there's
still reading in maps, etc. Coot is probably not as disk-bound as lots
of other applications though.
> regarding 3D displays:
>
> - is shutter-stereo supported (with need for quadro gpu for synchronisation)?
> - is polarisation stereo supported (resulting in lower vertical resolution)?
Yes, COOT supports both active and passive stereo. For active nVidia 3D
stereo on Linux you need a Quadro card with a 3 pin mini-DIN connector;
on Windows I think you don't (the emitter can gets its sync from USB)
Here are the nVidia supported hardware pages for Windows and Linux:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/quadro_pro_graphics_boards.html
http://www.nvidia.com/object/quadro_pro_graphics_boards_linux.html

I think the cheapest current offering with a stereo port is the Quadro 4000.
If you get a Quadro FX 3800, you need to buy the optional 3 pin
connector panel separately.
> thanks for your help
>
> Chuck

All Things Serve the Beam