MCG November 2011

Re: Google Analytics and Cookies

Peter Pavement <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 3 Nov 2011 18:01:31 +0000

 Find out more about the UKMW11 conference on 25 November 2011
      and how to register at http://bit.ly/ukmw11

Hi Tony

We've been monitoring developments on behalf of Surface Impression clients and so far Google has not issued a statement (unless they've really hidden it!). Lots of moans out there about their silence.

GA will track some things without the cookie but the "visit" concept is compromised. In the docs for GA there's some quite good descriptions of what each cookie does.

It's worth looking at server side collection of data for GA if you can implement it. Google have several libraries available.

Generally it seems the big "players" (the EU, ICO and Google) have let all the providers down and no-one knows quite what to do.

Best regards

Peter Pavement