PHD-DESIGN November 2011

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: texts / critical mapping

Peter Jones | Redesign <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 3 Nov 2011 11:33:57 -0400

text/plain

Ken - Thanks, let me concisely refine these points and see if we have common ground. Email does not enable dialogue, and even when we try the medium conforms us to a textual mode of communication.  (And wikis are not much better, they are textual as well, and are worse than email for deep exposition, in my decade or so of experience with them).

We are covering several complex themes within a single email discussion - it may require iteration to clarify meaning and to respond to gaps in sensemaking.

I completely support your objectives for the critical review and conceptual mapping in a domain. I agree the purpose is primarily for communicating with scholars about the development of research and understanding in a field. Perhaps I wasn't clear enough about "disciplinary development" but that's my point, that scholars at the PhD level and faculty should be engaged in mapping their understanding of the significance of concepts and research findings. This advances or develops the discipline, and it is a practice trained at the PhD level and in dissertation work.

This practice should be started at the MDes/MA level in the form of annotated bibliographies, that could encourage a type of canonical structure such as you had indicated (two emails back? ;)  If we don't train for quality writing and critical reviewing at the  Master's level, we are leaving the advanced practitioner with significant skill gaps.

My comments about Zotero are related to my own developmental challenges with the ICR (interpretive collaborative review). The most challenging problem with scholarly innovation is a shared and agreeable infrastructure.  We have to look at the entire Zotero product - not just the community website that Rosan pointed us to. Zotero is a full-featured reference manager available for free as a Firefox plugin. It is a classical disruptive innovation - I use the Zotero app now instead of EndNote or Refworks. With the addition of the community site, the infrastructure is extended to enable the kinds of cooperative thinking tools that I want to build, such as the ICR.

We have designed the interpretive collaborative review (ICR) process as a theoretically sound way to cooperatively formulate critical reviews of information sources as a loosely-coupled group editorial process. The interpretive review is based on the consideration that different stakeholders for a shared concern will have unique perspectives and understandings about the significance of a source (a journal article or even a blog post). Based on Ross Ashby's principle of requisite variety, the idea is to create a "dialogic surround" that encompasses the problem area by the different perspectives associated with the type of review output. Not all the reviewers are experts, and their fields of knowledge and experience may differ widely. If you want grounded clinical assessment of a new strain of malaria, you want not just infectious disease researchers but observers on the ground to participate. If you want to review the development of the multiple tracks of thinking in service design, you (as an editor) would recruit the perspectives you believe will enrich understanding.

The theoretical basis for this model draws on information science, social systems theory, and Dervin's sense-making methodology. As a dialogic design process it relies on requisite variety and requisite saliency to draw out information significance, which can be articulated as capsule reviews across a fairly large corpus of articles, which are distributed across a team of reviewers, who agree to select and critique a subset - and then review and critique each other's reviews, almost like you and I are doing here in email.

We propose that information significance is a type of relevance (which we call pertinence) recognized by human perceivers, as opposed to keyword relevance based on statistical term matching in a corpus. I consider this a collective sensemaking process.

It is an interpretive review, not a purely "objective" approach. We ask reviewers to identify the warrants in the reviewed articles that support the claims the reviewer may be promoting. We want to make reviewer perspectives as explicit as possible, since in much of science and medicine these values and rationale are never otherwise expressed.

The implementation of this idea is where infrastructure comes in. We have tried several times to build an effective "super-wiki"  that would be sufficient to produce an publishable ICR process. The idea is that an editor interested in producing an ICR would use our online toolset to convene an shared review committee, collect a corpus of sources , then select perhaps 100 articles to actually allocate for review among the team. The toolset enables the review, making a transparent record of commentary and scores associated with measures of Match (pertinence), Authority (trust), and Standing (authenticity). Now you have a qual and quant record of the review that can be published online, and searched with very rich metadata associated with the problem domain.

So yes, I am interested in people willing to join us in making these reviews possible for a well-defined and motivating problem area. And more so, I continue to look for funding to build a review toolset that makes this easy for first-time users and participants.

Thanks, Peter