CLARIN updates

Martin Wynne <[log in to unmask]>

Clarin-UK <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 29 Nov 2011 12:41:10 +0000

Launch of the CLARIN construction phase

The European Research Infrastructure Consortium (ERIC) is a new type of
legal entity created in order to allow the setting up and running of
large-scale, pan-European research facilities and services. The proposal
for a CLARIN ERIC is progressing smoothly through the relevant national
and European administrative, legal and political channels, and it is
expected to be established officially in the course of December, with
the first meetings of the General Assembly taking place at the end of
January or early February 2012. Seven countries have signed up as
founder members, and four more are close to completing the necessary steps.

Unfortunately, the UK is not one of them, so far. There have been some
indications that JISC is willing to arrange for the UK to join the
process as an 'observer', if the AHRC express their support for this
arrangement, but progress is slow.

What does this mean for us? CLARIN will be building an integrated
platform for access to language resources and tools across Europe, with
wider international links. If we want to be part of this, in terms of
feeding in our requirements as users of language resources and as
researchers, or if we want our corpora and other resources to be
integrated into this platform, then we need the UK to join. Ideas on how
to lobby more effectively for this are welcome!

It was recently announced that CLARINO, the Norwegian national
initiative for CLARIN, will receive more than 3 million over five
years, as one of eleven infrastructure projects across all disciplines.
This follows the allocation of significant funding in Germany, the
Netherlands, Denmark, the Czech Republic, and others

Pending the official start of the construction phase in the New Year,
much of the work to start deploying services for language researchers is
already underway. For example, you can see the work in progress on the
Virtual Language Observatory at http://www/clarin.eu/vlo/.

Secure access to language resources across Europe

On a brighter note, the UK Access Management Federation (who deal with a
lot of the technical and policy issues relating to online
authentication, authorization and identity management for UK Higher
Education) are close to signing an agreement to join the CLARIN
Federation. This would mean that users in the UK will be able to use
their institutional sign-on to access resources in countries the
Netherlands, France, Germany and all of the Nordic Countries, with many
more in the process of joining. It also raises the possibility of
service providers in the UK allowing users to use the domain of trust
created by these agreements to be confident about allowing users from
these countries to access our resources.

And while the technical details of this might be of interest mainly to
systems administrators and IT support centres, the implications could be
very important: it will allow us to use a simple, secure, well-supported
off-the-shelf solution for allowing secure access to users from higher
educational institutions across Europe.

*************************
Easier access to the BNC
*************************

For nearly 20 years now the University of Oxford has been granting
licences to use the British National Corpus, and providing copies of the
corpus on CD, and latterly DVD for local installation. We are keen to
make it easier for users to access the corpus, and are open to ideas
about how to do this. As you will know, at the moment, as well as
ordering your own copy of the corpus, you can use the following online
services:

- Simple search hosted by the British Library (http://www.natcorp.ox.
ac.uk/)
- BNC-BYU hosted by Brigham Young University (http://corpus.byu.edu/bnc/)
- BNCWeb.info hosted by Lancaster University (http://bncweb.info)

Let us know if you know of more. We're also working on putting an
instance of BNCWeb on our servers here in Oxford, to offer more routes
to use the corpus. We would also be happy to host a copy of the corpus
at a location that would allow others to build web services offering
tools to access the corpus. Please get in touch if you would like to
discuss how to do this.

************************
New Corpora at the OTA
*************************

- VOICE: Vienna Oxford International Corpus of English
(http://www.ota.ox.ac.uk/headers/2542.xml)

- VU Amsterdam Metaphor Corpus (http://www.ota.ox.ac.uk/headers/2541.xml)

Coming soon: all public domain EEBO and ECCO texts, freely available
from the OTA!

Please post your news about resources, projects, etc. to the list!

--
Martin Wynne
Head of the Oxford Text Archive

OUCS