PHD-DESIGN  October 2011

PHD-DESIGN October 2011

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Are PhDs a threat to design education?

Gunnar Swanson <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 11 Oct 2011 07:53:19 -0400

text/plain

Having spent much of my time recently reading, writing, and thinking about originality and copying (including collage of various sorts) I thought I'd compose a collage (see below.)

David describes the fiscal shrinkage that is driving the next generation of change in universities but it is also connected to a couple of broad changes mentioned by Teena. One is a change in composition of he student body over the last many years, upending some assumptions about the purposes of higher education and the social structures that support it and are supported by it. Another is the increasing reliance on people other than the "real" faculty to do much of the work of teaching. As much as we see universities as the site of knowledge production, most of the people paying the bills think of universities as places where teaching gets done and they don't understand why it's not done better and cheaper thus the inclusion of Cameron's comment on assessment. (The question about what they--and we--mean by "better" is, of course, a large fiber in this thread.)

Part of the social shift in university education has been the "upgrading" of various learning institutions which includes dragging departments, programs, and subjects of study into a new paradigm that may not always be a good fit. Anyone who thinks that this statement or my recent posts have had the purpose of arguing against research or for a traditional view of vocational education is wrong. What I am trying to say is that a forward thinking version of a great university of fifty years past is not a reasonable ideal for most schools.

A few years back, many people on this list were at RiDE (Reinventing Design Education in the university) in Perth. It was a worthy subject. I do think that design education needs to be reinvented. If, however, the university itself is not reinvented, most will become pathetic shells of their former glory (or, in the case of those with less glorious pasts, stage sets of their former aspirations.)

Gunnar Swanson

On Oct 10, 2011, at 9:26 PM, [log in to unmask] wrote:
> More universities are competing with each other for diminishing funds and a shrinking pool of paying students. For some time now I have observed that more and more of my university colleagues are unhappily working harder for less reward or opportunity.
[snip]
> There are a few protected enclaves (until the next round of funding cuts), but the overall picture, from where I see it as a visiting and adjunct prof at a few universities, is not conducive to a broad ecumenical view of education and research. Even in contexts where there are brave and innovative people, there is not the funding to sustain the innovation for any length of time.
[snip]
>  But I am coming round to the view that the problems are economic, not intellectual.
>
> If we added up all the skills, knowledge, and experience that students would need in order to take account of our broader notions of design, we would have to at least double the teaching and learning time on an undergraduate or post graduate degree.
[snip]