PHD-DESIGN October 2011

Re: The History of 'Modern Flat'

"CHUA Soo Meng Jude (PLS)" <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 31 Oct 2011 22:40:54 +0800

That's a very interesting question.  I;ve myself always wondered how the "drawing room" came about in the English house, until I was told one day that it is in fact the "withdrawing" room shortened, and it was a room into which the women withdrew when the men were in the living room entertaining guests.  But don't take my word for it: best to get this verified.

Jude
From: PhD-Design - This list is for discussion of PhD studies and related research in Design [[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of esra bici [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, October 31, 2011 8:13 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: The History of 'Modern Flat'

Dear all,
Hope you are all fine.
I am looking for references about the history and the emergence of the
'modern flat'.
In the worldwide, how did the first flats appear and how was the housing
standardized into flats?
And how did the idea of considering the human needs as 'living room',
'bedroom', 'deskroom', etc. and seperating so evolved?
I am looking for the consequences of this story related with the social
contexts.

Cheers,
Esra.
National Institute of Education (Singapore) http://www.nie.edu.sg

DISCLAIMER : The information contained in this email, including any attachments, may contain confidential information.
This email is intended only for the use of the addressee(s) listed above. Unauthorised sight, dissemination or any other
use of the information contained in this email is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email by fault, please
notify the sender and delete it immediately.