CCP4BB  October 2011

CCP4BB October 2011

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: To archive or not to archive, that's the question!

"Herbert J. Bernstein" <[log in to unmask]>

Herbert J. Bernstein

Sat, 29 Oct 2011 10:49:27 -0400

text/plain

One important issue to address is how deal with the perceived
reliability issues of the federated model and how to start to
approach the higher reliability of the centralized model described bu
Gerard K, but without incurring what seems to be at present
unacceptable costs.  One answer comes from the approach followed in
communications systems.  If the probability of data loss in each
communication subsystem is, say, 1/1000, then the probability of data
loss in two independent copies of the same lossy system is only
1/1,000,000.  We could apply that lesson    to the
federated data image archive model by asking each institution
to partner with a second independent, and hopefully geographically
distant, institution, with an agreement for each to host copies
of the other's images.  If we restrict that duplication protocol, at least at
first, to those images strongly related to an actual publication/PDB
deposition, the incremental cost of greatly improved reliability
would be very low, with no disruption of the basic federated
approach being suggested.

Please note that I am not suggesting that institutional repositories
will have 1/1000 data loss rates, but they will certainly have some
data loss rate, and this modest change in the proposal would help to
greatly lower the impact of that data loss rate and allow us to go
forward with greater confidence.

Regards,
   Herbert

At 7:53 AM +0100 10/29/11, Jrh wrote:
>Dear Gerard K,
>Many thanks indeed for this.
>Like Gerard Bricogne you also indicate that the location option
>being the decentralised one is 'quite simple and very cheap in terms
>of centralised cost'. The SR Facilities worldwide I hope can surely
>follow the lead taken by Diamond Light Source and PaN, the European
>Consortium of SR and Neutron Facilities, and keep their data
>archives and also assist authors with the doi registration process
>for those datasets that result in publication. Linking to these dois
>from the PDB for example is as you confirm straightforward.
>
>Gerard B's pressing of the above approach via the 'Pilot project'
>within the IUCr DDD WG various discussions, with a nicely detailed
>plan, brought home to me the merit of the above approach for the
>even greater challenge for raw data archiving for chemical
>crystallography, both in terms of number of datasets and also the SR
>Facilities role being much smaller. IUCr Journals also note the
>challenge of moving large quantities of data around ie if the
>Journals were to try and host everything for chemical
>crystallography, and them thus becoming 'the centre' for these
>datasets.
>
>So:-  Universities are now establishing their own institutional
>repositories, driven largely by Open Access demands of funders. For
>these to host raw datasets that underpin publications is a
>reasonable role in my view and indeed they already have this
>category in the University of Manchester eScholar system, for
>example.  I am set to explore locally here whether they would
>accommodate all our Lab's raw Xray images datasets per annum that
>underpin our published crystal structures.
>
>It would be helpful if readers of this CCP4bb could kindly also
>explore with their own universities if they have such an
>institutional repository and if raw data sets could be accommodated.
>Please do email me off list with this information if you prefer but
>within the CCP4bb is also good.
>
>Such an approach involving institutional repositories would also
>work of course for the 25% of MX structures that are for non SR
>datasets.
>
>All the best for a splendid PDB40 Event.
>
>Greetings,
>John
>Prof John R Helliwell DSc
>

>On 28 Oct 2011, at 22:02, Gerard DVD Kleywegt <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>>  Hi all,
>>
>>  It appears that during my time here at Cold Spring Harbor, I have
>>missed a small debate on CCP4BB (in which my name has been used in
>>vain to boot).
>  >
>>  I have not yet had time to read all the contributions, but would
>>like to make a few points that hopefully contribute to the
>>discussion and keep it with two feet on Earth (as opposed to La La
>>Land where the people live who think that image archiving can be
> [...]

      Dowling College, Brookhaven Campus, B111B
    1300 William Floyd Parkway, Shirley, NY, 11967

                  +1-631-244-1328
                Lab: +1-631-244-1935
               Cell: +1-631-428-1397