Re: IUCr committees, depositing images

John R Helliwell <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 27 Oct 2011 14:07:49 +0100

text/plain

Dear Gerard,
Thankyou indeed for this clear and already detailed plan. As well as
for MX SR datasets, ~75% of the total, this plan can readily be
extended to eg SR SAXS and SANS.

For the benefit of CCP4bb participants just to mention that the IUCr
DDD WG is seeking 'can do' solutions across a broad spread; we have
already put two in place. Firstly the IUCr Commissions are supplying
exemplar datasets and associated metadata, and this is happening; this
will no doubt involve some communities getting clarity and agreement
re the data and metadata required. Secondly, we are looking with IUCr
Journals into whether archiving of data with the literature might be
feasible e.g. for chemical  crystallography. Nb chemical
crystallography is a huge field and the largest fraction of IUCr
Journals by publications number. The 'synchrotrons administering doi
plan' largely does not satisfy this major need as the largest fraction
of these datasets are measured in house. However University
institutional repositories do host data sets and I will check with the
University of Manchester one if there is a size limit because this
would again avoiding moving the data around unduly. The Journals would
then 'only' have to deal with cases of universities where there is no
such institutional repository.

Re your suggestion that there is a 'Moving goalposts' afoot eg due to
the pixel detector; let's be clear, the IUCr DDD WG and myself in
particular already know about, and have used, the pixel detector, and
indeed the Working Group is not called the Diffraction Data Images
Working Group! The principle of 'archiving data with literature' is
the key principle, whatever device is used in the measurements. This
principle is an immoveable goalpost.

Greetings,
John
Prof John R Helliwell DSc