sorry for the interruption:
Western Front Society
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Position Type: Fulltime
contract, 35 hours/week
Years Experience: 2+
The Western Front Society seeks an outstanding, highly motivated arts professional to step into the role of Exhibitions Curator.
The Western Front was founded in 1973 by a small group of interdisciplinary artists, and has developed into an exemplary multi-disciplinary environment for experimental art practice and research. With a staff of ten plus interns and volunteers, the Society collectively produces over fifty events a year. The Exhibitions Program has a mandate to present contemporary visual art by local, national and international artists. Intentionally open, this mandate has historically focused on artwork that is conceptual, media-based or otherwise ephemeral in nature. Currently the program promotes experimentation with conceptual models and contexts for visual art that have allowed the program to expand beyond gallery exhibitions to include artist books and posters, cross-disciplinary works, site- specific and Internet projects, and commissions.
The Exhibitions Curator reports to the Executive Director, and is responsible for:
- Developing and communicating a dynamic vision for the Exhibitions Program
- Curating exhibitions and all associated programming
- Editing publications
- Writing grants and seeking opportunities for additional funding or support
- Supervising one part-time staff member, contract workers, as well as volunteers
- Exemplary knowledge and understanding of contemporary art practices
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proven financial management experience
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to provide direction and work with a diverse staff
- High capacity to meet deadlines and work under pressure
- Knowledge of a broad range of issues related to the arts
- A clear understanding of the philosophy and history of the Canadian artist-run centre movement
- Knowledge of the principle funding agencies and prior grant writing experience
- Knowledge of managing publications and print projects
- Experience installing a variety of art exhibitions
- Mac OS, Microsoft Office and Filemaker Pro, an asset
A competitive benefits package is available after the three months probation period is complete.
After eight months of employment, four weeks paid vacation may be taken during the period when programs are recessed.
An additional ten days paid holiday time may be taken during the December/January holiday period.
HOW TO APPLY
The Western Front Society is committed to the principles of Employment Equity and encourages applications from Aboriginal persons, members of a visible minority group or persons with a disability.
Applications containing a cover letter, curriculum vitae, three references, and writing samples, must be received by 4:00 p.m. on October 31, 2011.
Please send applications by email only to: Exhibitions Curator Hiring Committee Email: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Visit www.sunderland.ac.uk/tv to see the University's new TV ads