ACB-CLIN-CHEM-GEN@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

Monospaced Font

ACB-CLIN-CHEM-GEN Home

ACB-CLIN-CHEM-GEN  October 2011

ACB-CLIN-CHEM-GEN October 2011

FW: NLMC progress - data formats

"Richard Jones [Pathology]" <[log in to unmask]>

Richard Jones [Pathology]

Mon, 3 Oct 2011 08:05:18 +0100

Tim,
You are quite correct from a 'programmers' viewpoint. However the PMIP message has to handle some curious issues with our legacy LIMS. The reason the '*m' notation is used is because some special characters such a '^' act a escape sequences in printer streams. The PMIP system dates from the days of dot matrix printers and screen scraping from VDU terminals and carries this legacy with it. Using the characters you suggest had the effect of messing up paper as well as electronic reports.
Hence the development of the NLMC will not only build a better listing of authenticated tests but will let us move onto a much more robust representation of all units. If you check out www.ychi.leeds.ac.uk/pmipunits<http://www.ychi.leeds.ac.uk/pmipunits>, register and look at the spreadsheets of units in use I think you'll see that there is a lot more to correct before we start on this level of detail - e.g. ESR units of mm in 1st hr. I defy you to write code to deal with that and the other 12 variants of that particular unit.
We note the concerns over the eGFR unit - feedback on all this is welcome via the PMIPUNITs website.
Best wishes
Rick