Help for ZOOARCH Archives

ZOOARCH Archives

ZOOARCH@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

ZOOARCH Home

ZOOARCH  September 2011

ZOOARCH September 2011

Re: Osteological atlas of chimpanze (Pan troglodytes)

Richard Wright <[log in to unmask]>

Richard Wright <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 4 Sep 2011 15:59:17 +1000

John,

You ask whether there is any way to open the chimpanzee atlas on a Mac.

You can open .exe files on a Mac that is running Boot Camp and you might
(repeat, might) be able to set up and run the chimpanzee atlas.

http://lifehacker.com/384256/have-your-mac-and-windows-too-with-boot-camp

You would first have to buy a copy of a Windows operating system and
then repartition your Mac's hard drive. Even then, this particular
chimpanzee atlas program might not run. Any workaround of this sort is
prey to spending money and time, but disappointingly getting no solution.

My suggestion is this. I distribute free software for the determination
of ancestry from human cranial data. It is too much trouble for me to
write the software to run on a Mac. The solution I suggest to aggrieved
Mac owners is to get onto eBay and buy a secondhand laptop that runs
under Windows. Shouldn't cost you more than $150 to $200 - if that. This
would be a cheap and guaranteed solution in the case of the chimpanzee
atlas. It is a solution that would also give you entry to many
laboratory style technical programs that run only under Windows, and
also entry to more sophisticated statistics packages such as the
wonderful and  freely distributable program PAST.

Richard