Help for PHD-DESIGN Archives

PHD-DESIGN Archives

PHD-DESIGN@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

PHD-DESIGN Home

PHD-DESIGN  September 2011

PHD-DESIGN September 2011

Re: differences in process between design and other creative disciplines.

"Filippo A. Salustri" <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 20 Sep 2011 20:33:34 -0400

For what it's worth, I have one anecdotal data point for you.

I was once involved in designing a system to suspend lighting in a small art
gallery.  There was another professor from Ryerson there, for other reasons.
 We got to talking.  When we discovered that we both taught design, she
asked me how I regard the design process.  I told her it's (1) figuring out
what the needs really are, (2) generating lots of ideas, (3) choosing one
based on some justifiable rationale, and (4) detailing it all out.

She said that was just how she taught it too.

Then she asked me what kind of design I taught.  I told her it was
engineering design.

She was a font designer.

I'm convinced that designing - the overall process of it - is uniform or at
least generalizable from every design discipline.  It's just the domain
knowledge that changes.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers.
Fil