ACADEMIC-STUDY-MAGIC  September 2011

ACADEMIC-STUDY-MAGIC September 2011

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Rv: [ACADEMIC-STUDY-MAGIC] Academic Writing 2

"Magliocco, Sabina" <[log in to unmask]>

Society for The Academic Study of Magic <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 16 Sep 2011 12:13:52 -0700

text/plain

I think there is room in academic writing for the kind of intuition and gnosis that Peter Kingsley writes about (below).  In the fields of anthropology and folkloristics, it can be found in the works of Edith Turner, Jean-Guy Goulet, Bruce Grindal, and David Hufford, among others. It must exist, however, alongside a more scholarly, analytical and fact-based stance.  In my own work on modern Paganisms, I have striven for that balance.  The ethnological discipines in particular have been affected by the post-modern critique, which has brought about much more reflexivity in the way that scholars engage with their material.  Broadside criticism of academic writing as detatched and disdainful of lived religion demonstrates ignorance of this fundamental shift in perspective.

I think Amy Hale hit the nail on the head when she wrote about the anti-intellectualism that often prevails in some esoteric and magical circles.  Some groups like to define themselves in opposition to something, and in those cases, academia comes to stand for the negative pole against which they contrast themselves -- whether or not the fields or scholars in question actually "oppose" them in any substantial way.  This has come to a head over issues of authenticity, where scholarly histories (e.g. Hutton's _Triumph of the Moon [1999]) come to be popularly interpreted as attempts to challenge the legitimacy of esoteric movements.  Here's where scholarly and popular ideas really clash: in the academic realm, tracing the history of a movement and finding that it is of more recent origin than previously believed, or that its history does not match its sacred narrative of creation, is not tantamount to de-legitimizing it.  If it were so, then all modern social and religious institutions would by definition be illegitimate.

Most academics view notions such as legitimacy and authenticity as cultural constructs: shared ideas that everyone agrees to agree upon, generally supported by a dominant ideology.  Clearly, many people outside of the academy do not share this view.

It might help if we think of these two arenas as co-existing knowledge realms.  We all participate in various knowledge realms in society: in some, we are experts with insider knowledge, while in others, we participate on a much more informal level.  To take Dave E's cooking analogy, most of us are not chefs, yet good home cooks can produce some excellent meals and exchange recipes with enthusiasm and success.  This does not make our knowledge "wrong" or somehow "less than" that of professional chefs -- just different.

Best,

Sabina Magliocco
Professor
Department of Anthropology
California State University - Northridge