JISC-REPOSITORIES  August 2011

JISC-REPOSITORIES August 2011

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: The Open Access Blues: Fervent Plea to SHERPA Romeo for Colour Reform

Stevan Harnad <[log in to unmask]>

Stevan Harnad <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 17 Aug 2011 09:11:37 -0400

text/plain

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 12:32 PM, David Goodman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Sherpa is correct. For most people, the goal of OA is full access to the
> definitive version.  it means the final Published version, for nothing else
> is ambiguously the article, and anything less is a compromise. Perhaps a
> necessary compromise for the moment, but not the goal. The coloring should
> make that distinction. The practical reason is to encourage the publishers
> to make the full commitment, and not stop with the compromise as if they had
> done everything that is desirable.

David Goodman has unfortunately posted a non-sequitur. The SHERPA
Romeo color coding has nothing whatsoever to do with the distinction
between the author's refereed Final Draft and the publisher's
definitive Version of Record.

Both the author's refereed final draft and the publisher's definitive
version of record are defined (by the BOAI FAQ, by mandating
institutions and funders, and by SHERPA) as "postprints" -- which
means any version beginning with the refereed final draft and onward.
This is in contract to "preprints" which are defined as any draft
prior the refereed, accepted version:
http://www.eprints.org/openaccess/self-faq/#What-is-Eprint
http://www.eprints.org/openaccess/self-faq/#What-self-archive

The target of Green OA self-archiving mandates is the postprint -- not
necessarily the publisher's version of record, but a final refereed
version. The reason the final refereed draft is specified as the
default version to self-archive is that it has far fewer publisher
restrictions on it -- far more publishers endorse the immediate
self-archiving of the author's final refereed draft, but not the
publisher's version of record.

Currently, SHERPA color-codes all publishers who endorse the immediate
OA self-archiving of a postprint (whether the author's final draft or
the publisher's definitive version) as "GREEN" if the publisher *also*
endorses the self-archiving of the unrefereed preprint, and as "BLUE"
if the publisher only endorse the self-archiving of the posptrint, but
not the preprint.

It is this coding -- which has the majority of the publishers that
endorse immediate GREEN OA self-archiving (of the postprint)
confusingly coded as *BLUE* instead of GREEN -- that I was pleading
with SHERPA to fix. Nothing to do with the postprint version
distinction David is defending.

But let me nevertheless answer David's point that "For most people,
the goal of OA is full access to the definitive… final Published
version… anything less is a compromise. Perhaps a necessary compromise
for the moment, but not the goal."

I am not sure who David has in mind by "most people". But if it is
active researchers today, then their goal is far more specific: Today,
any journal article is accessible only to those researchers whose
institutions can afford to subscribe to the journal in which the
article was published. The goal is to make all journal articles
accessible to all potential users online, not just the lucky ones
whose institutions can subscribe.

Now if you ask researchers which version they would "prefer" to have
freely accessible to all potential users, they will reply: "the
definitive final Published version." (So would I!)

But that is not the right question. It is like asking people what food
they would prefer to have freely accessible to all: They might well
reply "organic nouvelle cuisine." But if you instead ask them the
right question -- "Would you rather have the author's refereed final
draft or no access at all" -- they will of course overwhelmingly
prefer the final draft, just as those who are starving will
overwhelming prefer a square meal over no food at all.

Now, if you are asking librarians, rather than researchers, you might
get a different answer, because librarians are traditionally concerned
with providing the definitive final Published version for their users.
But the relevant librarians here are the ones whose institutions
cannot afford to subscribe to the definitive final Published version.
And OA is not about librarians ideal wish-lists but about today's
researchers' immediate and urgent usage needs. Hence the "compromise"
on the author's draft is indeed a necessary one, unless David has a
practical alternative in mind that will get the definitive versions
rather than the author's version self-archived. (Or is this yet
another plea to keep waiting for Gold OA? But what should researchers
eat in the meanwhile, brioche?)
http://www.eprints.org/openaccess/self-faq/#31.Waiting
http://www.eprints.org/openaccess/self-faq/#23.Version

Last point: If we are polling researchers on which versions they would
"ideally" prefer (rather than whether they would rather have the
author's draft or nothing at all, when they are denied subscription
access), let us remember that most researchers are still not even
bothering to provide OA to their final drafts, let alone the
definitive versions. That's why Green OA self-archiving mandates have
proved necessary.

So much for the gap between precept and practise.

Moral of the Story: If you don't want to keep waiting for OA for yet
another decade, grasp what is already within reach (mandating
self-archiving of all final drafts) instead of over-reaching for what
is not, and continuing to get nothing. That's not a "compromise": it's
OA. Holding out instead for something even better, in contrast, is
just extending the lease on the status quo.

http://bit.ly/OAverReaching
http://bit.ly/PDFetish

Amen

Stevan Harnad