BRITARCH August 2011

Re: Fw: Climate Change

Nick Boldrini <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 26 Aug 2011 12:59:54 +0100

Again, not a complete view of whats happening by David or Mike

just coz the media don't report it as much, don't think everyones forgotton it

try looking at these places to seem some people who are still campaigning on these issues

http://www.foe.co.uk/ front page has campaign on pesticides/environmental justice - dig a little deeper to find things about waste etc, and if you actually want to do something about htem try http://www.foe.co.uk/get_involved/campaign_actions_index.html

http://www.greenpeace.org.uk/ front page has campaigns on watre pollution and rainforest deforestation

-----Original Message-----
From: British archaeology discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Mike Haseler
Sent: 26 August 2011 12:51
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [BRITARCH] Fw: Climate Change

On 26/08/2011 09:31, Dave Tooke wrote:
> Environmental concerns and the Green Movement were politically marginal
> until Maggie suddenly decided they had a point, and tentativley embraced
> some of the ideas. Since then the anti-pollution movement has been
> steadily
> subsumed into the current Climate Change agenda, and now it is almost
> impossible to think of environmental issues other than as Climate Change.
>
> Fears about acid rain, dioxins, heavy metals in oceans and lakes, plastic
> refuse killing animals and fishes (as opposed being a contributor to
> Climate
> Change), etc. appear now to be a quaint refelection of the hippy
> years, and
> are again relegated to a low priority, compared to the all important and
> religiously maintained Climate Change agenda.
>
> Which I think is a bit of a shame really.

Dave,

why do you think I'm so passionately against the "global warming" nonsense?

And how convenient it is that all those environmental issues which
affect the oil companies have been so quietly forgotten and ... how
convenient it is that energy prices have gone up do that energy
companies get more money for everything they sell (for less effort) ...
and we are now spending a £billion a year which could e.g. have gone
into preserving our heritage rather than digging it up to build windfarms.

Having been in it near the beginning (2000  - I was selected to go on
the list as a Green Candidate in Scotland) I was always struck by the
way the oil companies pushed wind energy. I've no doubt they were not
being altruistic.

And ... now that you mention Maggie Thatcher, it becomes clearer why she
might have so enthusiastic sent the whole environmental movement down a
blind alleyway!

Mike

Help protect our environment by only printing this email if absolutely necessary. The information it contains and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are only intended for the person or organisation to whom it is addressed. It may be unlawful for you to use, share or copy the information, if you are not authorised to do so. If you receive this email by mistake, please inform the person who sent it at the above address and then delete the email from your system. Durham County Council takes reasonable precautions to ensure that its emails are virus free. However, we do not accept responsibility for any losses incurred as a result of viruses we might transmit and recommend that you should use your own virus checking procedures.