RAMESES@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

RAMESES Home

RAMESES  August 2011

RAMESES August 2011

Software for reviews

Geoff Wong <[log in to unmask]>

Realist and Meta-narrative Evidence Synthesis: Evolving Standards" <[log in to unmask]>, Geoff Wong <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 11 Aug 2011 19:22:16 +0100

It seems that a number of review teams have been using software to help them in their reviews. So far mentioned have been:
- Joanna Briggs software
- Medeley http://www.mendeley.com/

I use NVivo and Excel (yes I know NVivo has Excel like functions but I am too dumb to use it). I have found that software can help on three fronts:
- organising data (really helps me when I need to find something like a quote)
- providing verbatim sections of text (e.g. for reports, team discussions, publications).
Software does not do the analysis for you, but it does help with the transparency.

One thing which I though others who have yet to make a decision on software might find helpful is a PROS and CONS list? Here is mine for NVivo 8

PROS
Basic features are pretty easy to learn to use
Advanced features (I can't comment - have not used these)
Easy to retrieve data
Imports pdfs (most of the time - apparently NVivo 9 is even better at this)

CONS
Expensive and each user needs a license adding to the costs
Can't share NVivo data unless you have the programme
Need a pretty 'powerful' PC or it will hang/crash
Does nor work on Macs (unless you have Bootcamp/Parallels like programme)

Geoff