Help for RAMESES Archives

RAMESES Archives

RAMESES@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

RAMESES Home

RAMESES  August 2011

RAMESES August 2011

Re: Interim summary - How much should we impugn....

Paul Ward <[log in to unmask]>

Realist and Meta-narrative Evidence Synthesis: Evolving Standards" <[log in to unmask]>, Paul Ward <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 9 Aug 2011 16:33:57 -0700

Hi Geoff

In my field of research (a sociologist in public health), I'm constantly being asked to account for and explain my 'leaps of faith', which I think is fair enough to ask.  This is most obvious in my research on the sociology of trust, where researchers, often implicitly and unknowingly, assume Simmel's position of trust being a leap of faith (which still held sway with Giddens and Luhmann too).  Whilst such a 'leap' (i.e. to invest trust) may occur in the absence of conscious/rationalistic thought, one can still use retroductive reasoning (from critical realism) as a way of transparently 'laying bare' how you made the decision.  Similarly, retroductive reasoning or logic seems to be a formal process for what you're talking about in terms of interpolating from the evidence in a RR.  All scientists (natural, social, biomedical, physical etc) use all forms of inductive, deductive, abductive and retroductive logic in their research (often implicitly), so maybe we need to be clear (and have a 'name' for our reasoning)?

Whilst this all sounds great, retroduction still isn't always viewed as 'scientific' within sociology - I submitted a paper to a very good sociology journal recently using retroductive logic to make a distinction between trust and dependence (patients in our study said they trusted their doctors but also said they had 'no choice' etc, which for us does not constitute trust, but a form of dependence) - one of the reviewers loved it but the other just couldn't get his/her head around the 'logical process' we had used to make this 'semantic leap' - this may in part be my lack of clarity in laying bare the retroductive process, but may also be continual problems between the supposed value free nature of 'proper' science (it apparently involves facts, not reasoning or argument - I wish some of my biomedical colleagues would read Kuhn) and the 'value laden' notion of reasoning.

Sorry if this seems like a rant...... it was meant to be constructive but ended up like therapy:)

Cheers

Paul

Professor Paul Ward
Discipline of Public Health