Apologies for cross-posting
WOMEN'S MEDIA STUDIES NETWORK:
10TH ANNIVERSARY EVENT
Mediating Women, War and Terror
12 September 2011, 1pm - 6pm, De Montfort University Leicester
This is an event hosted by the MeCCSA Women's Media Studies Network and De Montfort University's Media Discourse Group. It commemorates the inauguration of the Network at Derby University on the same day ten years ago.
The event examines the media's role and representations of women throughout the last decade of conflict. It offers sessions introduced by media practitioners and researchers to discuss issues surrounding women, war and terror on film, television and the print media. Showcasing Women, a popular feature of earlier Network events, is making a welcome return. It provides an opportunity for women to advertise their own work, ask for colleagues to collaborate with them, or publicise any forthcoming activity they're involved in. So please bring material and information with you for display and distribution.
All women welcome.
In addition, you may wish to come earlier in the day for a morning session to hear the Media Discourse Group present its research between 11-12 am. See the programme for the whole day below. Both events are free, but please reserve a place for either, or both of them, by Friday 2 September by registering with Kaity Mendes: [log in to unmask]
10.00am - 1.00pm: Registration open for both events.
11.00am - 12.00pm
- Stuart Price (De Montfort University) - EXNOMINATE! Gender, 'special ops' and the death of bin Laden
- Simon Mills (De Montfort University) - Lying about the Future makes History
12.00-1.00 Lunch - please bring your own.
All women welcome
1.00- 2.30 - Welcome and Panel 1:
- Zahera Harb (University of Nottingham) - The Role of Women in the Arab revolutions
- Rinella Cere (Sheffield Hallam University): The media representation of Muslim women radicalised by a post 9/11 society
2.30-3.15 - Film extracts and discussion with Angela Martin
3.15-3.30 - Coffee/tea break
3.30 -5.00 - Panel 2:
- Janet Harris (Cardiff University) - A woman in documentaries at war & peace
- Milly Williamson (Brunel university) - Gender, racism and the British press: Islam, the Veil and the Limits of Freedom
5.00-6.00 - Book launch and wine reception.