FW: JANET6 Advisory Group

"Gibbs, Laura" <[log in to unmask]>

Gibbs, Laura

Mon, 1 Aug 2011 13:47:48 +0000

Dear Colleagues

JANET are asking for a representative from the 1994 group to join the JANET6 Advisory Group.  Would anyone like to take this role?

Best wishes

Laura

Laura Gibbs
IT Director, Information Services
Royal Holloway University of London,
Egham, Surrey
TW20 0EX
Tel: 01784 443173
Mobile: 07970390593

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeremy Sharp [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 07 July 2011 13:18
To: Peter Tinson; Arthur Spirling; Peter Lucas; Alisa Miller; Sara Marsh; Aline Hayes; Gibbs, Laura; Matthew Dean
Cc: Shirley Wood; Bob Day
Subject: JANET6 Advisory Group

Dear all,

Following on from the SIX requirements gathering work we are currently in the phase of defining the procurement strategy for the next version of the JANET backbone (JANET6), with the procurement starting in the Autumn of this year. To support the pre-procurement and procurement activity we are in the process of setting up appropriate management structures. A key part of this structure is a 'JANET6 Advisory Group' that will provide JANET stakeholders with appropriate oversight and input into the procurement process, critically helping to ensure that the link between requirements and solutions is maintained.

To form this group we would like to ask you, as the JANET stakeholder group representatives, to provide nominations from the groups that you represent to sit on this JANET6 Advisory Group. We are aiming to form the group as soon as possible, with a first meeting in September. With this in mind, please could you let me and Shirley have your nominations by the end of next week (Fri 15th July) if possible.

The draft terms of reference for the group are below. If you'd like to discuss your thoughts on candidates, Shirley and I would be happy to do that.

Regards,
Jeremy
---------

Draft Terms of Reference: JANET6 Advisory Group

In the second half of 2011 the procurement for the next version of the JANET backbone (JANET6) will need to commence. A procurement strategy will be developed by JANET(UK) aimed at defining the most appropriate approach to the procurement that will result in the requirements identified for JANET going forward being met. JANET(UK) is responsible for running the procurement. The Advisory Group will support the procurement process and provide JANET stakeholders with appropriate oversight and input. The Group will specifically:

*       provide feedback regarding the implementation options that might be taken to meet the conclusions of the requirements analysis;

*       provide JANET(UK) with a mechanism for feedback on the translation of requirements into an architecture, design and solution for JANET6;

*       provide feedback on the proposed procurement strategy for the JANET backbone.

Membership:

Membership will be sought via the JANET Stakeholder Group. The group will be chaired by a non-JANET(UK) employee and will meet at least quarterly, tying in with the key milestones and decision points of the JANET6 project.

Membership will comprise of:

JANET(UK) representatives (JANET(UK) will provide the secretariat support)
JISC Executive
JISC Steering Group representative representing the funding bodies
UCISA representative
RUGIT representative
Research representative
Further Education representative
Schools representative
University Alliance representative
1994 Group representative
Guild HE representative
SCONL representative

Harwell Oxford, Didcot, Oxfordshire. OX11 0SG