Call for Papers: The Poster

Marketing3 <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 18 Jul 2011 10:09:49 +0100

Call for Issue 3 of The Poster ­
Special Issue on the visual rhetorics of command and control

Call theme
Visual rhetorics are by definition in the business of persuasion: in both
private and public spheres, such rhetorics attempt
to change the behaviours of both individuals and groups. From the ³Stop²
sign at the end of our street, through the visual
and verbal warnings on packs of cigarettes, to the recruitment posters of
our armed forces, common sense instruction
blends into health-expert authority insistence and then into state
invitations to die for one¹s country.

In this first special issue of The Poster, we invite contributions on the
many and different ways in which visual rhetoric
intends and is used to inform, instruct, persuade and control our lives.
Submissions should be in for October 14th 2011.

The Poster asks:

control others?
than others?
opposed to an honest source of
information: or is the distinction impossible to make.
instruction turns
into compulsion?
the public sphere?
What are their "tools"

Call focus
The work of artists, designers and other visual practitioners is vitally
important to The Poster and in this spirit we are
actively seeking visual contributions from practitioners whose work
addresses the mechanics of visual control. Visual
contributions can be submitted as either peer or non-peer reviewed work (see
below for submission information)
We are also seeking papers and articles: research, critical, philosophical
and theoretical papers on the call theme. All
papers will be subject to a rigorous blind peer review process before
publication. The journal supports the active
exchange of views and encourages contributors to present strong stances
where their research supports them.
We also call for reviews of books, exhibitions, mass media and examples of
visual rhetorics where they are thematically
relevant and are likely to engage the reader¹s interests.

Submission details
Papers ­ Papers should, in the first instance, be provided as MS Word (.doc
or .docx), Open Document Text (.odt)
or Rich Text Format (.RTF) files with low-resolution images (72dpi) included
in the text at the intended positions in
the text. Both colour and greyscale images are welcome. Please help us out
by using the standard Heading 1 (H1, H2,
H3) and Text Body styles as this, and the indication of position of the
images, helps us enormously in the editing and
production of the final document. Papers should be between 5000 and 8000
words long. Once a paper is accepted
we¹ll ask for the full resolution images.

Visual contributions ­ The contributions may be on any subject relevant to
the theme but should demonstrate an
explicable intent. They should be presented, in the first instance, as
low-resolution .jpg or .png files (72 dpi), numbered
or otherwise ordered in the way they will be read (if ambiguity is the
intent please help us out by sending us a visual
that explains their intended organisation). Please include (as either
metadata or on an accompanying list) details of
copyright, authorship and ownership.

Reviews should be between 1000 and 2000 word long and if they carry images
or excerpts of the reviewed material
should be copyright cleared with the author or the owners of the
intellectual copyright.

Contact: Simon Downs,
The Lead Editor at: