Re: Endings and conclusions

Anthony Richards <[log in to unmask]>

Film-Philosophy <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 22 Jul 2011 12:09:46 +0100

If I can break into this film circumscribed discussion on circumscription via endings, I have tried to discuss how computer games multiply/undecide endings and unsettle the plot/story opposition. The chapters were 'The Différance Engine: Videogames as Deconstructive Spacetime' in Cyberculture and New Media (Rodopi) and 'Presence-Play: The Hauntology of the Computer Game in Computer Games as a Sociocultural Phenomenon (Palgrave).

Cheers
Tony

Tony Richards
Senior Lecturer in Television/Studies
The Lincoln School of Media
University of Lincoln
Ext.6261

Click here for news of our graduates: http://lismalumni.blogs.lincoln.ac.uk/
- we're very proud of their achievements and success.

To find out more about and listen to staff and student work in Audio Production: http://audioproduction.blogs.lincoln.ac.uk/

-----Original Message-----
From: Film-Philosophy on behalf of James MacDowell
Sent: Fri 7/22/2011 2:42 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [FILM-PHILOSOPHY] Endings and conclusions

My recently-completed PhD thesis focused on the subject of the Hollywood
'happy ending', which has obviously required that I delve into endings and
closure more broadly. One article stemming from this research, 'Does the
Hollywood Happy Ending Exist?', is available online
here<http://www.scribd.com/doc/56195466/Does-the-Hollywood-Happy-Ending-Exist>
.

I'd be very interested to know how others are approaching the subject of
endings (it is indeed a bizarrely under-explored area), and would be happy
to share either more work or bibliographies if people would like to contact
me off list...

Best,

James MacDowell

On 21 July 2011 17:40, Catalin Brylla <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Again a German-speaking resource:
>
> http://www.montage-av.de/a_2003_2_12.html
>

> I have been doing research on narrative film endings (I think you are
> actually referring to my queries on this forum some years ago). Please get
> in touch for any more information you need. There is not much research on
> this topic, so I am trying to build a research network around this.
>
> Catalin
>

> ---
>
> Catalin Brylla
> Filmmaker - Editor
> www.catalinbrylla.com
>
> Lecturer, Film and Video
> University of Wales Newport
> www.newport.ac.uk/catalinbrylla<http://www.newport.ac.uk/artmediadesign/newportfilmschool/StaffProfiles/Pages/CatalinBrylla.aspx>
>
> Mobile: 07789004745
> Skype: cbrylla
>
> ------------------------------

Editor - Alternate Takes <http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/>

Editorial board - Movie: A Journal of Film
Criticism<http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/arts/film/movie>

Contributor - Notes on Metamodernism <http://www.metamodernism.com/>

Blog - The Lesser Feat <http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com>

--
Film-Philosophy
After hitting 'reply' please always delete the text of the message you are replying to
For technical help email: [log in to unmask], not the list
--
Film-Philosophy journal: http://www.film-philosophy.com/
Film-Philosophy Conference (6-8 July 2011): http://www.film-philosophy.com/conference/
Contact: [log in to unmask]
--

The University of Lincoln - a top performer in student satisfaction, enjoying an unrivalled ascent through the University league tables, set in a dynamic, research rich and vibrant campus in the heart of a great historic student-friendly city.

The University may monitor email traffic data and content in accordance with its policies and English law. Further information can be found at: http://www.lincoln.ac.uk/legal.