CYCLING-AND-SOCIETY  July 2011

CYCLING-AND-SOCIETY July 2011

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: CYCLING-AND-SOCIETY Digest - 11 Jul 2011 to 12 Jul 2011 (#2011-71)

Adrian Lord <[log in to unmask]>

Cycling and Society Research Group discussion list <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 13 Jul 2011 09:57:29 +0100

text/plain

I think that what Milton Keynes demonstrates is that you cannot simply provide cycle tracks on a land use plan that is designed primarily for the car, with low density and multi-centred pattern.  There is no reason to cycle other than if you 'like' cycling, unlike in many cities where cycling is the quickest and most reliable mode choice.  The other thing that John Franklin pointed out was that the interface of the cycle tracks and motor traffic routes in Milton Keynes is not generally arranged in favour of the cyclist and consequently, in addition to poor design of many of the off-road sections, there are cycle accidents at the junctions with the roads.  So all in all Milton Keynes network fails to provide enhanced safety, convenience or directness, three of the five basic criteria for good cycle routes.

Adrian Lord

Arup