Re: THE 70% THING

Dennis Huckerby <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 12 Jul 2011 09:45:17 +0100

text/plain

So getting things straight in my mind here as I see them are the three major
points identified yesterday –

1 - 3 November 2005 - Lord Warner announced the setting up of the Pathology
Service Review Panel and its apparent main focus was on the fact that "Up to
70 per cent of all patient diagnoses depend on pathology but the importance
of pathology services to patient care are too often underestimated.  - - - -
“

2 – This fact was originally announced in the UK as a major factor showing
the importance of Pathology to UK health in the Health Select Committee
Report published on 1 May 2002 (a gap of some 3+years)

3 – The fact announced seems to have been based on the paper in the
publication Clinical Chemistry –
http://www.clinchem.org/cgi/reprint/42/5/813.pdf - in 1996 (6 years before
the HSC Report and 9+ years before the PSR Panel was set up) claiming to
have derived this 70% figure without any supporting data from a single
source in the USA namely the Mayo Clinic which is of course absolutely
typical (NOT) of the UK Pathology Service.

An additional point of interest to you may be the fact while the Mayo survey
identified the pathology costs as 5% of the hospital’s budget, UK stats work
carried out around the same time by my very stats aware colleague Colin
Connolly, produced a figure of between 1 & 2%. Of course the budget profiles
may be different but it does show that in total cost terms pathology is not
a drain on the NHS or hospital budgets.

However whatever may be the case with the total cost stat, it seems to me
that the fact that the Modernisation of Pathology plan which the PSR Panel
was set up to monitor was apparently using an old, non-UK statistic obtained
from a single source not in any way typical of the pathology service in the
UK and thus makes the whole plan look as if it was based on the wrong basic
fact - to be polite about it. And as you say Rick – ”we need a much more
rigorous approach to understanding the types of decisions and the impact of
different tests in each context.”

So how does pathology progress from her if its eventual modernisation can be
adequately compared to pathology as it was when the whole idea of
modernisation was developed??

If I have drawn any incorrect conclusions from the facts revealed yesterday
then I would appreciate being so corrected so I can then withdraw my
non-too-polite comments about this plan

In the meantime keep progressing towards a more modernistic pathology
service to the UK population........................Dennis