ACAD-AE-MED Archives

ACAD-AE-MED@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

ACAD-AE-MED Home

ACAD-AE-MED  July 2011

ACAD-AE-MED July 2011

Locums and EWTD

"McCormick Simon Dr, Consultant, A&E" <[log in to unmask]>

Accident and Emergency Academic List <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 20 Jul 2011 10:49:26 +0000

With the current MG staffing crisis that is affecting us all, I'm sure many of us are employing medium/long term locum staff.  We have run in to problems when refusing to offer locums more than an average of 48 hours a week work.  Many are asking for 56, 60 or even more hours a week and refusing to work if they don't get them.

Now, I know that staff can technically opt out of the 48 hour working week rule but we decided early on that in an intensive work setting like the ED it is hard to justify employing someone beyond the recommended hours and would be difficult to defend in the event of an error.

Are other people taking a similar stance or are we just shooting ourselves in the foot with self imposed standards of work/rest balance.

Simon

This e-mail and any files that accompany it are intended only for the appropriate use of the addressee/s, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or exempt from disclosure. If the reader is not an intended recipient, any disclosure, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful.

If you have received this e-mail in error, please delete it from your system and notify the sender immediately.  Any views or opinions presented do not necessarily represent those of the Trust. Any unauthorised disclosure of the information contained in this e-mail is strictly prohibited, as is use or application of its contents other than for its intended purpose . Neither Rotherham NHS Foundation Trust nor the sender accepts responsibility for viruses. It is your responsibility to scan the email and any attachments.    ------------------------------