Help for FORCED-MIGRATION Archives

FORCED-MIGRATION Archives

FORCED-MIGRATION@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

FORCED-MIGRATION Home

FORCED-MIGRATION  June 2011

FORCED-MIGRATION June 2011

Call for Papers: Oxford Monitor of Forced Migration

Forced Migration List <[log in to unmask]>

Forced Migration List <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 13 Jun 2011 15:54:37 +0100

Call for Papers Vol. 1 No. 2
- Field Monitor - Law Monitor - Policy Monitor - First Hand - Academic
Articles -

OxMo, the student journal dedicated to protecting and advancing the
human rights of forced migrants, is currently accepting submissions for
our second issue which will be published in September 2011. Closing date
for submissions is 24 June 2011. For further details on how to submit
click here. To see our first issue click here.

Monitor Sections

For the Field, Law and Policy Monitor sections, we are seeking short
articles that engage with pressing issues that affect the day-to-day
lives of forced migrants - be they legal, social or political issues at
the local, national or international level. Examples include assessments
of projects and policies of international organizations, NGOs and
governments; articles that expose human rights violations; and
authoritative accounts of conditions in refugee camps or detention
centres. We also seek submissions that offer examples of best practice.
Such articles may explore innovative undertakings and advancements
geared towards countering forced migration predicaments.

More specifically, in the Field Monitor section, we are interested in
hearing from those of you who have had direct experience with forced
migrants—including but not limited to your work or research in the
field, e.g. in camps, or your engagement with forced migrants in your
local community.

For the Policy Monitor we are seeking critical analyses of current and
emerging policies and practises undertaken by governments, NGOs and UN
organisations that pertain to forced migration situations or forced
migrants in times of displacement, asylum, return or resettlement.

In the Law Monitor we welcome analyses of national and international
laws, rulings, government policies and practises as well as legal
developments taking shape and their possible implications for the rights
of forced migrants.

Submissions to the Monitor sections may take the form of an article, an
essay, a critique, a discussion or a report and should be no longer than
1500 words. Monitor submissions should be short, to the point and informal.

The Monitor sections are open to current students and recent graduates.
First Hand Section

The First Hand section encourages anyone who has been displaced to
submit articles reflecting on their personal experiences. First Hand
presents an opportunity to those directly affected by the policies, laws
and activities of governments and the agencies we monitor to express
their insights and perspectives. This may take the form of a discussion
of particular problem that has not been given due attention or
commentary on government policies in a specific country, region or locale.

We seek critical, balanced analyses that allow the reader to gain an
understanding of the context in which the report is written and that
engages with wider implications of the situation described.

Articles for First Hand should be no longer than 1500 words. At present
we are only able to accept written submissions in English. However, in
effort to make the section as accessible as possible we are also
accepting multimedia submissions such as videos, photos and spoken word
pieces. Accompanying the multimedia submission should be a short blurb
of no more than 300 words about the author and the piece itself. Please
note that videos, audio recordings and photos must be sent as an
attachment in a zipped file not exceeding 25 MB.

First Hand is open to all persons who have been or are currently displaced.
Academic Articles Section

The Academic Articles section provides a space for thorough scholarship
and serves as a forum for students to engage critically with practical
and conceptual issues relating to forced migration. In the Academic
Articles section we seek submissions that interrogate the existing
literature on forced migration, present in-depth research in a given
area or offer original insights into a situation or trend.

As we recognize and value the multidisciplinary nature of Forced
Migration Studies, we encourage submissions from across various academic
disciplines—including but not limited to political science, law,
anthropology, ethics and philosophy, sociology, economics and media studies.

Submissions to the Academic Articles must not exceed 6000 words
(including footnotes, which should be kept to a minimum).

The Academic Articles section is open to current students and recent
graduates.
Closing date for submissions is 24th June 2011

Please send all replies to: [log in to unmask]

--
Oxford Monitor of Forced Migration (OxMo)
Academic Articles Editor

http://oxmofm.com/

Note: The material contained in this communication comes to you from the
Forced Migration Discussion List which is moderated by Forced Migration
Online, Refugee Studies Centre (RSC), Oxford Department of International
Development, University of Oxford. It does not necessarily reflect the
views of the RSC or the University. If you re-print, copy, archive or
re-post this message please retain this disclaimer. Quotations or
extracts should include attribution to the original sources.

E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Posting guidelines: http://www.forcedmigration.org/discussion/guidelines