Help for GISCRG Archives

GISCRG Archives

GISCRG@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

GISCRG Home

GISCRG  June 2011

GISCRG June 2011

Open Source, Geo and Health Workshop (#gecohealth) - 9th August 2011 in Edinburgh

Nicola Osborne <[log in to unmask]>

Nicola Osborne <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 16 Jun 2011 11:51:17 +0100

Hi there,

I am currently working as part of a JISC funded project, the Geospatial Engagement and Community Outreach programme (GECO), which is trying to build connections between geo activities throughout the UK. As part of this work we will be running a series of events concerned with the relationship between geospatial information and other areas of interest to the academic sector and broader public.

Our first GECO event will be a workshop entitled "Open Source, Geo and Health" (#gecohealth) which will take place at Edinburgh Napier University on 9th August 2011 and is now available for booking!

This event will be looking at the intersections between open source, geo and health - there are natural connections around fields of, say, epidemiology but we think there is also much to explore here and I think members of this list will have a particular interest in this event as it is intended to be a very cross disciplinary look at the role of geospatial data and technologies in wider contexts of health research and practice.

We have several great speakers already confirmed:

Jenny Roe and Catharine Ward Thompson from the OPENspace Research Centre (based at the Edinburgh College of Art and Heriot-Watt University) will be talking about green space and mental well being.

Sergiusz Pawlowicz from the Centre for Geospatial Science at the University of Nottingham witll be speaking about his work on Participatory Health Surveys. And we hope to have speakers from Imperial College London talking about Primary care perspectives on open source GIS.

We also have space available in the programme for contributions on open source approaches to health and geo issues and welcome contributions from any perspective around the intersection of open source, geospatial information and health.

More information on the event can be found on the GECO blog:
http://geco.blogs.edina.ac.uk/

And you can register here:
http://open-geo-and-health.eventbrite.com/

Please do pass on to relevant contacts or friends with an interest in these topics (and feel free to repost to other relevant lists or sites)

Many thanks,
Nicola.

--
Nicola Osborne
Social Media Officer

GECO website: http://geco.blogs.edina.ac.uk
Follow us: @jiscGECO

GECO is based at EDINA: http://www.edina.ac.uk/

t: 0131 651 3873
e: [log in to unmask]

a: EDINA/Data Library Services for University of Edinburgh The University of Edinburgh, Main Library Building, George Square, Edinburgh, EH8 9LJ