DC-GLOSSARY Archives

DC-GLOSSARY@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

Monospaced Font

DC-GLOSSARY Home

DC-GLOSSARY  May 2011

DC-GLOSSARY May 2011

FAQ answers re: DCAM and Singapore Framework in dc-architecture

Thomas Baker <[log in to unmask]>

Thomas Baker <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 17 May 2011 17:30:14 -0400

Dear all,

I have been quite busy in the FAQ and Glossary parts of the wiki -- see [1] for
an overview of my recent activity. In particular, I have been writing about
DCAM and application profiles:

    http://wiki.dublincore.org/index.php/FAQ
    http://wiki.dublincore.org/index.php/FAQ/Application_Profile
    http://wiki.dublincore.org/index.php/FAQ/DCMI_Abstract_Model
    http://wiki.dublincore.org/index.php/Glossary
    http://wiki.dublincore.org/index.php/Glossary/Application_Profile
    http://wiki.dublincore.org/index.php/Glossary/DCAM_Family_of_Specifications
    http://wiki.dublincore.org/index.php/Glossary/DCMI_Abstract_Model
    http://wiki.dublincore.org/index.php/Glossary/Description_Set_Profile
    http://wiki.dublincore.org/index.php/Glossary/Dublin_Core_Grammatical_Principles
    http://wiki.dublincore.org/index.php/Glossary/Open-World_Design

In particular, I have started a discussion about the two FAQ pages
(Application_Profile and DCMI_Abstract_Model) on the dc-architecture list
[2,3,4].

I suggest that for now, we discuss the substance of those FAQ pages on
dc-architecture. I would, however, be discuss here the general approach
taken to the Glossary and FAQ in this case. Note that there is some overlap
between the Glossary page on DCAM and the FAQ answer on DCAM. Note, too,
that in both the FAQ and Glossary there is a place to put a "short answer"
and a link to a "long answer".

I would be interested to hear whether technical and historical detail is
better handled in the "long answer" of the Glossary or the FAQ - or in
both (even at the risk of repetition)? Or does anyone want to argue that
the essays are simply too long? Comments and criticism please :-)

Tom

[1] http://wiki.dublincore.org/index.php/Special:Contributions/TomBaker
[2] https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=DC-ARCHITECTURE;4e6a6767.1105
[3] https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=DC-ARCHITECTURE;930ef75a.1105