Re: The contemporary archaeology

James Symonds <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 1 May 2011 00:34:45 +0100

I've been thinking about all of this. I note that  the  UK media  have
been saying that the Royal Family are a heritage asset and an
institution that is worth preserving as they attract a huge amount of
income from overseas tourists to the UK.

I would suggest that many people visit Graceland each year, long
after tghe death of Elviis,  in 1977. The number of visitors to
Lenin's Mausoleum in Red Square has similarly grown in recent years.

On this reasoning - in this time of national austerity -  it might be
sensible to retain various Royal palaces, but at the same time
consider embalming selected high profile members of the Royal
household (obviously only when they expire through natural causes) to
maximise potential UK tourist income.

Just a thought.
J.

I do not dispute the fact that

--
Dr James Symonds FSA FSA Scot MIfA

York Archaeological Trust Fellow in Historical Archaeology

Department of Archaeology & Department of History

University of York

King’s Manor

York Y01 7EP, UK

Tel:  +44 (0) 1904 32 3935

Fax: +44 (0) 1904 32 3902

Email: [log in to unmask]
Gmail: [log in to unmask]

http://www.york.ac.uk/archaeology/staff/academic-staff/james-symonds/

University of York  EMAIL disclaimer:
http://www.york.ac.uk/docs/disclaimer/email.htm

Docent (Associate Professor) in Historical Archaeology

Faculty of Humanities, University of Oulu, Finland

http://www.oulu.fi/hutk/yleark/en/

Research Fellow

Department of Archaeology

University of Boston, USA