Help for DISTANCE-SAMPLING Archives

DISTANCE-SAMPLING Archives

DISTANCE-SAMPLING@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

DISTANCE-SAMPLING Home

DISTANCE-SAMPLING  May 2011

DISTANCE-SAMPLING May 2011

manually labelling Survey Effort and examples in excel

Jessie Dulberger <[log in to unmask]>

Jessie Dulberger <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 24 May 2011 21:34:17 +0100

Hello,

I'm sure this is a very simple answer, so hopefully it won't take too much of your time.

I have one survey area (132 hectares) with 8 line transects (250 m), surveying for all songbirds in a grassland/foothills habitat.  I surveyed 5 times total over 2 months with one observer.  Observations made were both individuals and clusters (so I will analyze in clusters).

The survey effort changes for each transect, depending on how long it takes for me to record each bird.

My question is: when I input the amount of time it takes to survey each transect, do I record the actual time (ex.  6:51 AM -  7:10 AM) or do I input 19 minutes?  If I do use the actual time, do I label it as:  line transect (layer type), and it is text or integer? Does the survey effort need to be a single number (ex 19) for each observation line?

I read in the user manual Ch 8: Strata as replicates when there are different types of survey effort, and it seems that since my days are random (5 visits to all transects within 2 months) I should tick the "strata are replicates", correct?

Also, is it advised that I should post stratify since there are many different species?

One last question or comment is that when I try to look at the examples in each folder, they are all in access and I can't open them for some reason our IT person has not been able to figure out.  Do you have any of these examples (songbird specifically) in excel? That would be extremely helpful.

Thank you for your time and patience,

Jessie Dulberger

--
distance-sampling list home page: