CADRE PhD Studentships

Jo Mills <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 16 May 2011 16:29:53 +0100

The University of Wolverhampton’s Centre for Art and Design Research and Experimentation (CADRE) is offering three full time PhD studentships. Bursaries are for three years at £12,500 per year with full tuition fee remittance. Bursary students will be expected to be working ‘in residence’ at the University of Wolverhampton.  Fee remittance will be at the UK/EU rate.  International students are welcome to apply but will need to fund the balance.

We are interested in PhD studentship proposals which are practice-led and theory-based. Potential students are encouraged to contact the following CADRE research supervisors.

Communication and Pedagogy
We are interested in proposals that examine visual communication (including illustration and typography); interactivity and multimedia (including sound); design for technology-supported learning; and issues concerning equality and diversity raised by digital media.

Visual Communications - Dr Rina Arya [[log in to unmask]]
Interactive Learning in digital media - Dr Jim Davis [[log in to unmask]]

Digital Technology Theory and Practice
We are interested in proposals that examine interactive social environments, virtual and real space, and experimental and/or documentary time-based media.

Participatory and Immersive - Prof Dew Harrison [[log in to unmask]]
Time Based Media - Dr Adam Kossoff [[log in to unmask]]
Animation and Virtual Space - Dr Denise Doyle [[log in to unmask]]

Creative Processes in the Performing Arts
We are interested in proposals that analyse compositional and performance practices, experimental theatre, choreography, performance and ageing, or the body, identity and culture.
Music Performance and Analysis	 - Dr Amanda Bayley [[log in to unmask]]
Dance and Movement - Dr Victoria Thoms [[log in to unmask]]
Theatre Practices - Dr Paul Johnson [[log in to unmask]]

Applicants should be highly motivated with a Masters Degree or equivalent in a relevant subject. You can review the information about our research groups and areas of expertise amongst our research staff prior to making your proposal. <http://wlv.ac.uk/cadre>

Deadline for receipt of applications is 17th June 2011.
Interviews will be scheduled the weeks of 4th and 11th July 2011, for admission on the 1st October 2011.

Applicants should send the following:
• A completed University of Wolverhampton studentship form
• A completed University of Wolverhampton PhD research proposal form (sections A1-B1, & B4 only need be completed. Section B1 must include: research questions, historic and contemporary research context and planned methodology.)
• An academic CV with letters of support from two academic referees
• Documentation of any practical work in CD, DVD or 35mm slides
• A stamped self-addressed envelope for the return of visual material.

Applications and questions should be addressed to:

Jo Mills, Research & Postgraduate Studies Administrative Assistant
+44 (0)1902 32 2213,
School of Art and Design,
University of Wolverhampton,
Molineux Street,