Re: Voice, etc.

"Maynard, A." <[log in to unmask]>

Maynard, A.

Fri, 27 May 2011 16:11:06 +0100

text/plain

Hi!
Archie Cochrane used to emphasise "kindness" as an essential part of teh
care process and cited holding a Russian fellow prisoner of war in his
arms for two hours as he died in great distress (see appendix to 1989
reprint of his Effectiveness and Efficiency)
Better ask the quality of life "measurers" whether any of the QOL/Proms
instruments encapsulate such "kindness"
Agree with Marin that when you are on the receiving end of care, a
gentle smile and quiet assurance is very valuable
Have a nice weekend you all, and keep out of the clutches of your health
care system if you can! If you fail, do remember that about 50% of
routine care offered has no evidence base in terms of good RCTs and
systematic reviews, let alone evidence of cost effectiveness. But then I
see from Obamacare that cost effectiveness is an Un-American activity!
(Read Vic Fuchs in this week's NEJM for  an excellent summary of why
this is so!)
best wishes
Alan M :-)