PHD-DESIGN  March 2011

PHD-DESIGN March 2011

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Status of "design" re Japanese nuclear crisis? Reply to Norman

Charlotte Magnusson <[log in to unmask]>

Charlotte Magnusson <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 21 Mar 2011 13:43:29 +0100

text/plain

The perceived danger of different alternatives is vastly influenced by the media reporting. It is not necessarily the same as the actual danger. I must admit that I am currently really worried about what happens if global warming really kicks in. Most equilibrium systems have mechanisms that strive to restore the equilibrium, but once you get outside the stable region things go bad in a very non-linear way (and also very quickly). Just hoping there is some more restoring mechanisms (not yet identified) that will kick in......would say that this is a true design challenge which seems to be too difficult for us - the local benefits (driving cars etc etc) go in the opposite of what is good for the global system....

Best wishes!
/Charlotte
Ps. Cynical observation: there was yet another coal mine disaster just now. No discussion on the dangers of coal has followed....

Charlotte Magnusson
Associate Professor
Certec, Division of Rehabilitation Engineering Research
Department of Design Sciences Lund University
Lund
Sweden
tel +46 46 222 4097
fax +46 46 222 4431