LIS-TALIS-ASPIRE  March 2011

LIS-TALIS-ASPIRE March 2011

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Aspire release, 14th March [Aspire 'Pages']

"Cross, Richard" <[log in to unmask]>

Talis Aspire Users <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 22 Mar 2011 16:50:54 -0000

text/plain

Although my liaison library colleagues can come at this from a far more
informed pedagogical perspective than me; from a technical service and
application management point of view I echo the concerns that Annette
raises.

Every site implementing Aspire has to address the question of the
balance of Resource List content as it is reflected in the Resource List
system, the VLE, the library web site and catalogue and the university's
web and teaching spaces. Careful attention has to be paid to the
question of which sort of teaching content (and related support
materials) goes where, and numerous policies may require sign-off and
best practice guidelines need drafting to ensure that academics are
clear where the university expects them to create content and where
students should be directed to discover this.

The new 'Pages' functionality in Aspire is not - as far as I am aware -
an enhancement that customers have advanced as a priority, and I can
honestly say that I've never had a conversation with an academic, a
student or another librarian in which the phrase "I wish Aspire came
with a built in all-purpose page creator" has entered the conversation.

My own view is that the Pages option muddies rather than improves the
functionality of Aspire, and, like Annette, I feel that this is a
functional tangent for the application. I'd rather see Talis focus on
making Aspire a world-class, leading edge Resource System application
than spend time and developer resource on bolting on the sort of web
page hosting functionality that an academic can create for themselves on
Wikidot, Wordpress or a thousand other online locations, should they
choose to do so.

It is also my view that significant functional enhancements of this type
should not be auto-released, defaulted-in and non-optionally mapped to
existing roles in Aspire (and without the necessary support
documentation being available) but should instead be preview-able and
optional. An 'agile' release strategy is great for getting enhancements
out to customers in an efficient, timely way. But when Talis wrong-foots
those trying to manage the service by switching on significant new
functionality without allowing them time to assess, prepare and decide
how (and if) the new buttons should appear in the environment, agile can
very easily become premature.

If you not had a chance to experiment with Pages as yet, a demonstration
'Page' (that I've drawn up to help show library colleagues what's
possible in Pages)  can be viewed here:
http://resourcelists.ntu.ac.uk/page/pages-in-the-rlms.html

In the meantime, I've no management tools which would allow me to report
to my managers how many Pages have been created in our Tenancy, by whom,
with what titles, and included on which lists. And I've no Pause button
to enable me to suspend this function while my managers decide how and
when it might be used or supported.

Regards

Richard Cross
Resource Discovery and Innovation Manager
Libraries and Learning Resources
Hollymount House
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham NG1 4BU