Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: a new question

Dazhi Jiang <[log in to unmask]>

Tectonics & structural geology discussion list <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 27 Mar 2011 17:18:08 -0400

text/plain

John,

My point is not really about what to consider as independent variables.
Replacing y=f(x) by x=inverse_f(y) does not get you any further. Rather, my
point is that you should not just requre the velocity field to satisfy the
stress ALONE. The permissible velocity field must satisfy: 1) mechanics (in
fact this is why the stress tensor must be symmetric, a requirement of the
balance of angular momentum), 2) rheology, 3) the kinematics (strain, strain
rates, vorticity), and 4) boundary conditions. You are still thinking that
velocity field must satisfy stress alone.

In the consititutive equation, the stress tensor IS related to the strain
rate tensor which is symmetric, so there is no problem. If the material
elements do not also have the vorticity part which gives rise to rotation,
then misfits will develop and compatibility will be violated. This will
immediately leads to the buildup of torque and the balance of angular
momentum law will ensure that this does not happen.

I see no difficulty with fracture formation. Fractures are related to the
strain part of the displacement gradient field. The antisymmetric part is
irrelevant.

Hope this clarifies a bit.
Cheers,
Dazhi