Help for SPM Archives

SPM Archives

SPM@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

SPM Home

SPM  February 2011

SPM February 2011

Re: fixed effects analysis across two sessions

"MCLAREN, Donald" <[log in to unmask]>

MCLAREN, Donald

Thu, 24 Feb 2011 09:05:43 -0500

The control condition helps for a number of reasons:

(1) it allows you to ignore baseline shifts due to the drug (e.g. Drug
increases or decreases general neural activity;
(2) it makes it a within-subject comparison which almost always has
more power than between subjects(e.g. If A increases by 5 in one
subject and 2 in another, then you will have large variability;
however if B increases by 4 and 1, respectively, there is low
variability for A-B;
(3) without knowing your design, it's hard to interpret the implicit
baseline and whether it is tied to any cognitive state or tied to
statistics. The latter occurs when you have all your data occurring in
your two conditions. If this is the case, then the baseline is
completely arbitrary and would easily explain your results.

--

Best Regards, Donald McLaren