CRISIS-FORUM  February 2011

CRISIS-FORUM February 2011

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: So ... what now folks? ... the sword of Damocles of aerosol geoengineering dimming ...

John Nissen <[log in to unmask]>

John Nissen <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 18 Feb 2011 10:58:54 +0000

text/plain

Hi Oliver,

I'm glad you raised the ozone issue, because ozone depletion is probably
the most important thing to minimise with stratospheric sulphate
geoengineering.  There are two things to do: (i) deploy the aerosol in
spring such that most of it will have disappeared by the following
winter, when its effect on ozone is greatest [1] [2]; and (ii) be more
aggressive in preventing CFCs and other ozone depleting products get
into the atmosphere.  At present the ozone depletion in the Arctic is
reducing steadily, but not nearly as fast as it could be with more
aggressive action.  (I don't know about the Antarctic.)

BTW, the aerosol serves to mask out UV, which is the main problem
arising from ozone depletion.  This would help to compensate for ozone
depletion it causes.  It might actually bring a net benefit in UV reduction.

There is very bad news from the Arctic, where the sea ice is showing
ominous signs that we could have a record retreat this summer.

Cheers,

John

[1] The chemical process which results in ozone depletion occurs below a
certain temperature.

[2] Deployment of aerosol in the Arctic lower stratosphere means that
circulation tends to bring the aerosol down into the troposphere faster
than it would deployed at lower latitudes.   This means that the effect
of the aerosol can be shut off quickly if necessary, for example if
there were another Pinatubo-like volcanic eruption putting its own
sulphate aerosol into the stratosphere.  It so happens that initial
deployment of the aerosol technique will probably start in the Arctic
lower stratosphere, focussed on saving the Arctic sea ice - which is in
such a critical state.

---