Re: So ... what now folks?

A&M Meikle <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 15 Feb 2011 18:40:50 -0000

text/plain

Hi John et al. - I'm glad to see that this debate is continuing & that I've
found time to contribute a bit more. I should explain that I too am really
scared for the future of the planet & am aware of the methane problem. I do
not dismiss geoengineering out of some belief that we will change our ways.
I dismiss it because there is no (mainstream) discussion about the fact that
we HAVE to change our ways. I liked the smoker analogy but stick by the idea
that it's pretty pointless to fix someone up if they won't stop doing what
initially caused the damage - could have been an alcoholic with cirrosis of
the liver. The point's the same. I agree that people should be told but I
also understand that people have no idea who to trust and are quite happy to
carry on as is than make some sweeping change on the back of misinformation.

I am as sceptical about biochar as I am about large mirrors in space, not
because I don't think they'd work (they might, they might not - I don't have
the climate or engineering background to know) but because they will be
developed with the same mindset which led to our current crises. Jonathan
mentioned the fact that we can't experiment with many large-scale
geoengineering projects. Clouds sound nice but what impact would an
alteration of solar input have on plant life, especially at a time when
other cycles are being altered at a rapid rate. And speed of change is key
here. We all know how evolution and adaptation work - over time, gradually.
Speed of change is linked to scale, which is relevant to biochar (& indeed
all biofuels). Sure, ancient Amazonians used charcoal to improve soils but
some proponents of biochar propose it on a colossal, indeed unfeasible,
scale.

Biochar has been made from grasses, woody material, straw, corn stubble,
peanut shells, olive pits, bark, sorghum, and sewage wastes. However,
experimentation with biochar and bio-oil has typically been on wood because
of its consistency as a material and its relatively low ash content. The
idea for biochar came from Terra preta, the carbon rich and highly fertile
soils created by communities in Central Amazonia 500-2,500 years ago. Terra
preta is characterised by:
* highly diverse biomass residues (compost, manure, fish & animal bones,
weeds, etc) linked to high agro-biodiversity (not monoculture forests);
* organic phosphorous and calcium additions;
* charcoal additions.
Terra preta was about more than just burying charcoal and it was not done on
the scale some are proposing, such as Peter Read, contributor to IPCC
Assessment Report 4, 2007, and member of the International Biochar
Initiative (IBI), who said "Land use improvements on the scale envisaged -
on average, an area the size of France in warmer regions and of Germany in
temperate zones, each year for 25 years - is a daunting organisational
prospect". Why hasn't the daunting prospect of the land mass needed to
'store' significant amounts of carbon via biochar led the biochar debate?
And where will this land be found? One then gets into arguments about what
is 'marginal' land - is it merely land not making money, regardless of who
lives there now?

Yes, future solutions will be a mixture of energy demand reduction (this is
the hard one to get going - 'we' would much rather launch large space
mirrors than cut back on consumption) and meeting that reduced demand with a
variety of alternative technologies. But back to biochar, which scares me
because it is so easy to market to people as a 'green' solution. At the 2008
UN climate talks in Poznan, Johannes Lehmann, Chair of the IBI, estimated
that under ambitious scenarios biochar could store 1 billion tons of carbon
annually - equivalent to more than 10 percent of global carbon emissions
(8.5 billion tons in 2007). Ref:
www.reuters.com/article/scienceNews/idUSTRE4B45KB20081205. According to
Lehmann et al., modern large scale charcoal applications could sequester as
much as 9.5 billion tons of carbon per year, which would necessitate over
500 million hectares of dedicated plantations. Ref:
http://www.biofuelwatch.org.uk/docs/biocharbriefing.pdf (p5). The total
geographical area of India is 328.73 million hectares. It's obvious that
this amount of land simply isn't available, so why do some proponents even
mention such outlandish figures? Why is biochar not promoted as a
small-scale local endeavor? The answer to that is probably at the real root
of the problem - we have to change our ways but the inertia is enormous.

We have to understand the difference between bio-fuels and agri-fuels, which
leads me onto my last point - it's attitude which has to change first. For
example, Biopact (which runs the Biochar Fund) says (see here, end of first
para -
http://news.mongabay.com/bioenergy/2007/10/strange-world-of-carbon-negative.html)
"By driving, you will be saving the planet. And the more you drive, the more
you prevent catastrophic climate change." This is utter codswollop (can't
spell it but trying not to swear!) and while this probably represents the
extreme end of biochar advocacy we must be aware that such attitudes persist
and could win the argument.

OK, enough from me and I didn't even mention net energy....!

Mandy

http://mandymeikle.wordpress.com/

Aldous Huxley, "Proper Studies", 1927