Help for LIB-RFID-UK Archives

LIB-RFID-UK Archives

LIB-RFID-UK@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

LIB-RFID-UK Home

LIB-RFID-UK  February 2011

LIB-RFID-UK February 2011

Re: Cochlear Implants and Security Gates

"Scrogham, Andrew" <[log in to unmask]>

Discussion List for RFID in Libraries <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 22 Feb 2011 12:17:20 -0000

Hi Colin,

We had an incident soon after we opened our new City Library where a
young boy entered the library through RFID gates and noticed that his
implant stopped working temporarily.

We sought advice from the British Cochlear Implant Group who told us
that no damage or injury would result.
We were advised to check that all existing and new RFID gates have the
minimum effect possible on cochlear implants. Wider spaced gates have
less effect than narrow gates (as difference experienced between levels
1 and 2 demonstrates) and 3D gates may have different effects to 2D
gates.

I hope that helps - we haven't had a repeat of this since (or not one
that's been reported, anyway).

Kind regards,

Andrew

Andrew Scrogham
Systems Manager

Newcastle Libraries
Adult and Culture Services Directorate
City Library				Tel: 0191 277 4154
Charles Avison Building		Fax : 0191 277 4137
33 New Bridge Street West		e-mail
Newcastle upon Tyne.		Web www.newcastle.gov.uk/libraries

NE1 8AX

I am currently reading "All pity choked - Memoirs of a Soviet Secret
Agent" by Anatoli Granovsky