alltoment project - different layout

Anna Bunney <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 8 Feb 2011 17:01:32 +0000

text/plain

Dear All
I've posted this message again - hopefully it will appear better laid out this time.
thanks
Anna

Dear All
The Manchester Museum plans to host an allotment in the courtyard from April 2011 to October 2012.
The allotment is to link with The Manchester Museum’s vision of working towards a Sustainable World, the opening of our new Living Planet gallery and the International Decade of Biodiversity, as well as making connections with the collections of The Manchester Museum ranging from our natural history collections to the archaeology collections.
We are looking to appoint a freelancer/consultant to undertake the initial project management and delivery of the allotment project.  The fee is £2500, inclusive of all expenses (20 days at £125 per day).   This work will need to be completed by mid April 2011.
For more details of the project please see  project description below.

Please send CV and letter outlining why you are interested in the project to Anna Bunney, Curator of Public Programmes at Manchester Museum   by Tuesday 15 February, with work commencing the week beginning 21 February 2011.

Project Description

The Allotment Project, Manchester Museum The Manchester Museum plans to host an allotment in the courtyard from April 2011 to October 2012.
The allotment is to link with The Manchester Museum’s vision of working towards a Sustainable World, the opening of our new Living Planet gallery and the International Decade of Biodiversity, as well as making connections with the collections of The Manchester Museum ranging from our natural history collections to the archaeology collections.
We are looking to appoint a freelancer/consultant to undertake the initial project management and delivery of the allotment project.  The fee is £2500, inclusive of all expenses (20 days at £125 per day).   This work will need to be completed by mid April 2011.
Key concepts that underpin the allotment project are
•	The aim of the Living Planet gallery is to explore the connections between all living things, including us, and show how we can all shape the future by the choices we make.  The allotment will play a key role in enabling people to take action by demonstrating how to grow food and encourage biodiversity on a local level.
•	Be a platform for participatory and learning programming for adults including older people, community groups, early years groups and schools.
•	Be a strand of the Museum’s well-being agenda.
•	Be a partnership project between local food and gardening agencies and be a vehicle for signposting visitors to other organisations and actions they can take.
•	Be an opportunity for volunteers and museum staff to participate in the care of the living world.
•	Be used for partnership projects with groups ranging from Manchester University academics, local sure starts centres, and community groups in the local area.
•	To enable visitors to make connections between museum objects and the living world
•	To raise the profile of the museum and it’s commitment to the sustainable agenda, within Manchester University, Manchester City and the wider community.
You will work with the Allotment Project Team made up of the following staff from across the museum;  Anna Bunney (Curator of Public Programmes), Esme Ward (Head of Learning and Engagement), Bryan Sitch (Deputy Head of Collections, Curator of Archaeology), Dean Whiteside (House Services Manager), Kate Glynn (Volunteer Coordinator), Chad McGitchie (Head of Visitor Services), Henry McGhie (Head of Collections/Curator of Living Planet) and Nicola Walker (Head of Collections Care and Access).
Outline of project
1.	Provide project management for the initial stages of the allotment project, until opening in early April 2011.
2.	Create an allotment design for the courtyard area – this is to include raised beds accessible for a range of visitors, smaller containers to illustrate gardening on all scales, composting area, water butts, seating, a shed (for interpretation).  The health & safety of all users must be considered and incorporated into the final design. The design will need to be approved by Museum and University staff and may need to be submitted for planning permission.
3.	Plan and devise how to build the allotment.  This may include a participatory programme to involve local communities in the building (for example working with a group to build some elements of the raised beds).
4.	Oversee the construction (and purchase of different elements) of the allotment.
5.	Develop a planting scheme for the allotment.  This scheme will include links with the Museum’s collections and reflect the Museum’s concerns and a range of plants that people will be able to grow at home and encourage biodiversity.
6.	Devise a horticultural care plan and operation guide for the allotment care.  This will include looking at how volunteers, staff, students and other groups can be involved in the day to day care of the allotment.   Purchase relevant equipment for the maintenance of the plot.
7.	Input into developing interpretation for the allotment and the participatory programmes.  This will include purchasing gardening equipment and ensuring appropriate risk assessments for activities.
8.	Input into creating an ongoing presence for the allotment project, using the internet and other social media (eg: blog, flickr etc).
9.	Assist with networking links with local food and gardening groups and other local organisations.

Experience required;
1.	At least 3 years project management experience within a museum and/or community setting.
2.	Recent experience of working with horticultural projects.
3.	An understanding of the health & safety requirements of a community gardening project ensuring it is reflected in all stages of project delivery (design, construction, operation, public access and removal from site at the end of the project).

Expressions of Interest:
Please send CV and letter outlining why you are interested in the project to Anna Bunney, Curator of Public Programmes at Manchester Museum  - [log in to unmask] By Tuesday 15 February.

Living Planet Gallery
If you think nature is something far away, think again - we are nature. Living Planet will explore the connections between all living things, including us, and show how we can all shape the future by the choices we make. There may be lots of bad news stories, but look at the amazing things that still exist. Together we can help them have a safe and secure future. Together, lots of tiny actions can change the world.
The Manchester Museum
As a university museum, The Manchester Museum uses its international collection of human and natural history for enjoyment and inspiration. Working with people from all backgrounds, the Museum provokes debate and reflection about the past, present and future of the earth and its inhabitants.